True HD! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 AM

Default True HD!

Hi Guys, I have a Toshiba HD-E1 and a Pioneer VSK 1016V reciever, I am thinking of running the player through the reciever to to get True HD and Dolby Digital Plus.

Is it worth buying another HDMI cable? Or is it not much different than through the optical output?

Would love your opinon if you have a similar setup at the moment.

Sean.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 AM

If you want TrueHD, you don't have a choice - HDMI is your only option. Find somewhere that sells reasonably priced HDMI cables and jump in.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks Mal.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:34 PM

So if I'm getting the HD-A1, but my receiver doesn't accept hdmi i don't get the TotalHD?

And if I run optical or digital audio to the receiver is it an upgrade in audio from the 360 add-on?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggytx View Post
So if I'm getting the HD-A1, but my receiver doesn't accept hdmi i don't get the TotalHD?

And if I run optical or digital audio to the receiver is it an upgrade in audio from the 360 add-on?
If you have the HD A1 (or any HD DVD player), you can't get a digital TrueHD stream any other way than with HDMI or 5.1 analog. Coax and Optical connections do not have the bandwidth to carry a TrueHD signal. However, it should also be noted that regardless of whether or not you have an HDMI receiver, there are no recievers on the market (as far as I know) that can accept a straight TrueHD stream. That means that current HDMI receivers can only accept True HD if it is first converted into 5.1 channel uncompressed PCM. So basically, the only way to get the full benefit of True HD sound quality via digital is PCM over HDMI.

If your receiver has analog audio inputs though, you can hook the 5.1 analog outs on the HD A1 to the receiver and get the full sound quality via analog (should be on-par with what you would get with the HDMI connection).

And as far as your add-on question, the 360 uses optical out at full bandwidth, as do standalone HD DVD players, so the audio should be the same either way if you use this hook-up. The only difference is that standalones can output DTS, whereas everything coming out of the add-on is converted into Dolby Digital (which technically has less quality than DTS, although some would dispute that claim).

Last edited by JU1CYFRU1T; 02-25-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: fixed inconsistant message
Old 02-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks, making sure I get everything out of it.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcriminal View Post
Hi Guys, I have a Toshiba HD-E1 and a Pioneer VSK 1016V reciever, I am thinking of running the player through the reciever to to get True HD and Dolby Digital Plus.

Is it worth buying another HDMI cable? Or is it not much different than through the optical output?

Would love your opinon if you have a similar setup at the moment.

Sean.
I don't know if they will ship to the UK, but Monoprice has great quality cable for very cheap. I am currently using THESE. They have a great build quality, and I have not had one problem with them.

Don't get sucked into Mon$ter, or any of the other 'high end' cables... you can get cables that are the same quality for MUCH less... the only difference is the company name on the connector.