toshiba xa1 issues - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 PM

Default toshiba xa1 issues

anyone have their player do weird things? every once on a while (about 1/3 of the time) the player just does weird shit. more often than not, the malfunction is that the player freezes and the only way to get it to restart is to hold the power button for a while or, in the worst cases, unplug it from the wall (that only happened once)! however, it has also skipped a bit, and then the disc resumes playing, but the audio is out of sync. i believe im up to date on firmware: v2.0. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
anyone have their player do weird things? every once on a while (about 1/3 of the time) the player just does weird shit. more often than not, the malfunction is that the player freezes and the only way to get it to restart is to hold the power button for a while or, in the worst cases, unplug it from the wall (that only happened once)! however, it has also skipped a bit, and then the disc resumes playing, but the audio is out of sync. i believe im up to date on firmware: v2.0. anyone have any suggestions?
Hmmm. I purchased my XA1 last May, and is a Feb. 2006 build. I've never had any problems that weren't disc related - dirt, scratches from Netflix rentals, and gunky adhesive on a new purchase. Firmware 2.0 is the current firmware. Are you checking the discs carefully before playign them? Is the player on a solid base, in a well venilated location?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Hmmm. I purchased my XA1 last May, and is a Feb. 2006 build. I've never had any problems that weren't disc related - dirt, scratches from Netflix rentals, and gunky adhesive on a new purchase. Firmware 2.0 is the current firmware. Are you checking the discs carefully before playign them? Is the player on a solid base, in a well venilated location?
yeah, all of the above. i really cant figure out what the issue would be.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
yeah, all of the above. i really cant figure out what the issue would be.
This happens every once in a while-Welcome to new technology. Ever notice that the movie will never skip in the same place twice? When the voice becomes out of sync pause it and then repause and play, it resumes back to normal. I think the HD-XA1 is in need of another firmware update...seriously! Mine is up to date and most of us owners (HD-XA1) experience the same, evey now and then..nothing to worry about, your machine is definately not a faulty. Unless this is a constant occurence!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeeswish View Post
This happens every once in a while-Welcome to new technology. Ever notice that the movie will never skip in the same place twice? When the voice becomes out of sync pause it and then repause and play, it resumes back to normal. I think the HD-XA1 is in need of another firmware update...seriously! Mine is up to date and most of us owners (HD-XA1) experience the same, evey now and then..nothing to worry about, your machine is definately not a faulty. Unless this is a constant occurence!
no, its not too often of an occurence. i guess my beef is that i haven't had any of these problems with bluray playback. i want to like hddvd better, its the consumer-friendly choice, i think it consistently looks better, etc. but if toshiba doesnt get their act together and update my player, im going to be much more inclinced to buy titles that come out on both formats in bluray
Old 02-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
no, its not too often of an occurence. i guess my beef is that i haven't had any of these problems with bluray playback. i want to like hddvd better, its the consumer-friendly choice, i think it consistently looks better, etc. but if toshiba doesnt get their act together and update my player, im going to be much more inclinced to buy titles that come out on both formats in bluray
Well, in your first post you said about 1/3 of the time. That's not acceptable, and not what one should expect or tolerate with HD DVD. I would estimate I have problems of freezing, stutters, audio sync issues less than 5% of the time, and 90% of that is caused by scratches or dirt on the disk - probably half of my HD DVD viewing is on Netflix rentals.

I just noticed in your signature that you have an xbox HD DVD add-on in additon to the XA1. With the disks that cause you problems on the XA1, do you have any issues playing them on the Xbox add-on? If not, then perhaps you should contact Toshiba for service. I've read they're pretty good.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Well, in your first post you said about 1/3 of the time. That's not acceptable, and not what one should expect or tolerate with HD DVD. I would estimate I have problems of freezing, stutters, audio sync issues less than 5% of the time, and 90% of that is caused by scratches or dirt on the disk - probably half of my HD DVD viewing is on Netflix rentals.

I just noticed in your signature that you have an xbox HD DVD add-on in additon to the XA1. With the disks that cause you problems on the XA1, do you have any issues playing them on the Xbox add-on? If not, then perhaps you should contact Toshiba for service. I've read they're pretty good.
honestly, the xbox addon seems to have a whole other host of problems, which is why im beginning to get a little frustrated with the hardware in general. as someone else mentioned, its not as if there are specific "problem discs." moreover, it seems as if the discs never freeze in the same spot and a disc that had an audio-sync issue in the past doesnt have it upon the second viewing. and it cant be a dirt issue, ive never put a rental disc through the player. really, im sort of puzzled by the whole thing. ive thought about contacting toshiba, but im guessing they would just tell me to send in my unit, and im sort of unwilling to part with it for any extended period of time, as id rather it be buggy than not be able to watch hddvd at all.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
really, im sort of puzzled by the whole thing. ive thought about contacting toshiba, but im guessing they would just tell me to send in my unit, and im sort of unwilling to part with it for any extended period of time, as id rather it be buggy than not be able to watch hddvd at all.
I just read over on the AVSforum that Robert from Value Electronics (where I bought my XA1) posted:

"Just tonight I spoke again with Toshiba in support of G1 owners and the software executive told me 2.1 is coming out soon and has nice upgrades and fixes."

I wasn't sure if there would be anymore firmware updates for the 1st generation players, but Robert seems to have a very good repore with Tohisba, and I take him at his word. I'll post back here when I see it released. Hopefully it may help your problems.