Make my choice for me, Oppo, A20, or A30? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Make my choice for me, Oppo, A20, or A30?

Hello,

I searched on the forums and read through some other threads, but nothing answered the questions I had directly, so I wanted to post.

I have been in the market for an upscaling DVD player for a while. I have a PS3 but donít want to use it as an everyday movie player. I had decided on an Oppo 981HD, but with all the recent cuts in HD-DVD player prices, I looked into those.

The Toshiba HD-XA2 seems like the best for upscaling but is well outside of my price range. I found both the Toshiba HD-A30 and Toshiba HD-A20 (not the HD-A3 and HD-A2) for sub-$200 prices, and since the Oppo 981HD is around $200 as well, and since they can all do 1080p via HDMI, I need some advice from people who know more than me.

Important Points:
1) Now, I will get the 5 free HD-DVDs, but knowing that the primary use will be upscaling SD DVDs, would you recommend the A20 or A30 over an Oppo 981HD in terms of SD upscaling quality?

2) I donít know how Toshiba model numbers work, what is supposed to be better, the A20 or the A30?

3) I am a film student, and although my computer is hooked up to my TV directly via DVI to HDMI to watch my filmed footage, I do get a lot of footage/projects on DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs from other people in my classes. Do either of these Toshibaís have problems playing/upscaling burned media?

Thanks.

Last edited by essential; 01-18-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 AM

I have the a20 and it's great for upscaling. It will not however play dvd +R DL dvd's that i've burnt which is annoying because my previous player did.
I use the blu ray for that now.
HD DVD players will not play divx discs either if yoiu were thinking of doing that.
Shor of those things the HD DVDD player is a better deal than the oppo because it can play hd dvds.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
I have the a20 and it's great for upscaling. It will not however play dvd +R DL dvd's that i've burnt which is annoying because my previous player did.
I use the blu ray for that now.
HD DVD players will not play divx discs either if yoiu were thinking of doing that.
Shor of those things the HD DVDD player is a better deal than the oppo because it can play hd dvds.
Just to clarify, it will play DVD+Rs but it will not play DVD+R DLs? I have rarely seen a DL disc floating around campus, but DVD+Rs are around. Most don't know the difference so they just buy whatever is cheaper, DVD+R and DVD-R.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essential View Post
Just to clarify, it will play DVD+Rs but it will not play DVD+R DLs? I have rarely seen a DL disc floating around campus, but DVD+Rs are around. Most don't know the difference so they just buy whatever is cheaper, DVD+R and DVD-R.

No it will only play dvd -r,-r dl according to specs..
Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I searched on the forums and read through some other threads, but nothing answered the questions I had directly, so I wanted to post.

I have been in the market for an upscaling DVD player for a while. I have a PS3 but donít want to use it as an everyday movie player. I had decided on an Oppo 981HD, but with all the recent cuts in HD-DVD player prices, I looked into those.

The Toshiba HD-XA2 seems like the best for upscaling but is well outside of my price range. I found both the Toshiba HD-A30 and Toshiba HD-A20 (not the HD-A3 and HD-A2) for sub-$200 prices, and since the Oppo 981HD is around $200 as well, and since they can all do 1080p via HDMI, I need some advice from people who know more than me.

Important Points:
1) Now, I will get the 5 free HD-DVDs, but knowing that the primary use will be upscaling SD DVDs, would you recommend the A20 or A30 over an Oppo 981HD in terms of SD upscaling quality?

2) I donít know how Toshiba model numbers work, what is supposed to be better, the A20 or the A30?

3) I am a film student, and although my computer is hooked up to my TV directly via DVI to HDMI to watch my filmed footage, I do get a lot of footage/projects on DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs from other people in my classes. Do either of these Toshibaís have problems playing/upscaling burned media?

Thanks.

I'd go for the A30.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
No it will only play dvd -r,-r dl according to specs..
The specs don't mention dvd+r, but it will play them. I have a few thousand dvd+r discs of the cheapest, no name type I could find and they all play just fine on the A3, A2, and XA2. I don't know about DL dvd+r though.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Important Points:

The A20 is the low end 2nd gen. 1080p player and the A30 is the low end 3rd gen. 1080p player - Given a choice I would take the newer model since the A20 is discontinued. Both still quantify for the 5 free movies
Old 01-18-2008, 12:40 PM

If you just shell out the $$ for the AX2 you'll get the "best of both worlds" as somebody famous likes to say. The Reon upscaling will be better than the Oppo 981 for sure AND you'll have the option of HD DVD viewing also.

EDIT: I see now you mentioned it being outside your price range. I say look around. You can surely find one for a somewhat reasonable price. It's your best option IMO.