XA2 wins Sound & Vision's 2007 Editors' Choice Award...again - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Default XA2 wins Sound & Vision's 2007 Editors' Choice Award...again

For the second year in a row one of Toshiba's HD DVD players has one Sound & Visions top honors. Last year it was the XA1 (no idea why) and this year...the XA2. No surprise there since I own this and no other standalone can compare to it (blu or red).

Sound & Vision

Quote:
HD-XA2
HD DVD player
May '07
We declared Toshiba's inaugural HD-XA1 HD DVD player our 2006 Product of the Year on the strength of its breakthrough audio/video performance. But it suffered from sluggish and quirky operation, not to mention an atrocious-looking 720p output that demanded you mate it with a 1080p set. Shortly after, though, Toshiba roared back with the XA2 ($999), a successor that addressed nearly every problem with the original. Boot-up and disc-load times are vastly reduced, connections are more robust, and a Silicon Optix video processor not only fixes the 720p problem but turns this into one of the best upscaling DVD players we've seen. The company is now onto its third-generation players, but the universally praised HD-XA2 still deserves recognition for its outstanding performance.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM

NICE!! I still would like one for sure. I'm just going to wait a little and see if maybe the price will drop some.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM

I bought another one on Ebay (new for $450) as a backup. After using this player I would be loathe to use a different one if/when it breaks down as it's a classic in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I bought another one on Ebay (new for $450) as a backup. After using this player I would be loathe to use a different one if/when it breaks down as it's a classic in my opinion.
Make sure you put your XA2 through it's paces soon after you get it. Some of the early manufacture ones had an issue where one of the chips would overheat and randomly lock up the player.

Bought my XA2 from Best Buy when they lowered the price to $500. The first one I got locked up consistently after 10 to 15 minutes of usage on DVDs and HD DVDs. Thankfully the store had a second unit left in stock and I swapped it the next day. Second one has been rock solid. Though silly Best Buy taped up the first one and stuck it out there as an open box for someone else to buy
Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telamon View Post
Make sure you put your XA2 through it's paces soon after you get it. Some of the early manufacture ones had an issue where one of the chips would overheat and randomly lock up the player.

Bought my XA2 from Best Buy when they lowered the price to $500. The first one I got locked up consistently after 10 to 15 minutes of usage on DVDs and HD DVDs. Thankfully the store had a second unit left in stock and I swapped it the next day. Second one has been rock solid. Though silly Best Buy taped up the first one and stuck it out there as an open box for someone else to buy
Thanks for the tip. I'll use it regularly for a week or two to make sure it's up to snuff and then box it up for backup purposes (or in case I need it for another room someday).
Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Do you think we will see a XA3?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default some for sale

there are some for sale on AUDIOGON.com..some new..some used..better than e-bay....you can offer a price and work out a deal
Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 PM

Search the BB's and CC's as well. I picked up a open box for $200 at a BB in Houston. It had the remote but no cord. A few minor scratches on the top but none on the face. Definitely has better upscaling and audio than my A20.

And its pretty!