DVD+ Life after death for hd dvd group - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Default DVD+ Life after death for hd dvd group

Although I strongly suspect that the only plan being postulated for hd dvd right now is a fade to black plan...

Here's a thank you gift to hd dvd group for creating a very nice HD format that will make up a good part of my red/blu high def library indefinitely. Sure it's going to be changing to blu/red rapidly but HD group did a nice job competing.

The gift then is your ressurection plan, should you ever decide to attempt to come back from the dead.

1) Reinvent hd dvd brand as DVD+ where the PLUS is an included hd dvd copy (on the same disk of course)
As a SKU it has to go to retailers as a standard dvd.

2) Toshiba sit down and make happy with Universal, Paramount and yes, Microsoft. They have to be happy enough to support the plan. Clearly you lost MS on hd dvd somewhere last year and you'll need their $upport to make a plan work.
-Perhaps share a big chunk of the format IP?
-Perhaps convince them that blu-ray is going to soon give the PS3 a big advantage over Xbox in the race to "digital convergence"?
-Maybe ask them if the really want to be forced to release a blu-ray addon for 360 indirectly paying Sony and supporting JAVA?

Anyway you'll figure it out, but yeah you'll need Microsoft's help.

3) Begin to release some DVD's as "DVD+". This is what hd dvd used to call a twin (1 sided) where possible or a combo (dual sided) where needed.
You'll have to subsidize the difference in cost between the standard dvd and the DVD+. (This is where the plan may fall apart btw. I have no idea what your hybrid production costs are and likely no one will spend the money. but hey, I still think the plan is worth what you paid me. )

You can replace an entire DVD release with a DVD+ release OR if that's too risky for your studios then you'll have to limit the feature to DVD special editions and double dips where premium prices

-For your studios, in addition to the customary "incentives" ask them if they may want to hedge their bets a bit in case the other HDM falls short?
-DVD+ should be able to command a couple dollars premium as time goes on, starting with special edition DVDs and later should keep the value up on the standard dvds that now have something extra for hdtv owners. While other studios standard dvd values go down DVD+ could keep their values up!
-Or maybe they'd like to retain another option outside of one controlled quite so much by one of their own competitors.

4) Release your players as high quality upscaling DVD players with DVD+ and oh BTW if you had one of those old hd dvd players they'll happen to work on DVD+ too.

No need for your studios to be exclusive to DVD+ either. Let them support Blu-ray and build satisfy the highest end consumers. (as though you could stop them anyway).

DVD+ would be for those that don't want to replace all their DVD players but want a taste of that fancy HD stuff.
You shouldn't have much problems with getting retailers to carry DVD+ (unilke you'll soon have with hd dvd) because they'll come in as DVDs and upscaling dvd players. No new shelf space.

That's it. 4 easy steps!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 AM

My apologies but HD-DVD isn't dead so it can't be ressurected.

Indeed it's more like it's undead.

You certainly know but: You can't kill an undead. At least not without proper bottles of holy water. Sony isn't aware of this however.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 AM

good post but i resent the HD DVD fade to black comments. its not dead
Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDT View Post
good post but i resent the HD DVD fade to black comments. its not dead
I understand that but as I said I'm anticipating that a fade to black is quite possible in terms of future content for the format. I'm simply looking at the current reality along with likely outcomes and unless some cohenrent plan is put forth by Toshiba and their partners in hd dvd group.

Still I have 2 360 addons and a scary number of movies that just at a glance looks to be approaching 300 disks (counting boxsets) (with no intention or desire to get rid of them). I'll probably pickup a standalone hd dvd player tommorrow as well, so no disrepect to a great format intended.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post
I understand that but as I said I'm anticipating that a fade to black is quite possible in terms of future content for the format. I'm simply looking at the current reality along with likely outcomes and unless some cohenrent plan is put forth by Toshiba and their partners in hd dvd group.

Still I have 2 360 addons and a scary number of movies that just at a glance looks to be approaching 300 disks (counting boxsets) (with no intention or desire to get rid of them). I'll probably pickup a standalone hd dvd player tommorrow as well, so no disrepect to a great format intended.
Acutally this is somehow blindsighted as my father used to say. Looking at the present isn't the way to go. You must be open for the future and for the past.

Of course most effords of you should back the present to accomodate a pleasent future but still you have to concentrate on the future and past to actually see how you could improve the present.

I know komplex and Einstein Relativity like but it has to be said
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 AM

I like the plan, except I don't think it should be rebranded "DVD+". There's too much consumer confusion already.

I think they should merely keep the existing HD DVD branding, but change the "HD" part to a different color and de-emphasize it a tiny bit, such that people see "DVD" first, then a split-second later they notice the "HD" part. Much like how ESPN HD is branded.

They should have done this a year ago, IMHO. But it's not too late now.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM

How about the HD part shining in colourful rainbow colours and the DVD shining in yellow (most fitting to the bright rainbow colours) ?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
My apologies but HD-DVD isn't dead so it can't be ressurected.

Indeed it's more like it's undead.

You certainly know but: You can't kill an undead. At least not without proper bottles of holy water. Sony isn't aware of this however.
You can always chop the head off of an undead, which usually drops them in thier tracks. I know from experience because the Alamo Draft House theater near my house has a video they show before a movie starts that informs you on what to do in case the undead attack while watching the show

Anyhow, HD DVD is not dead. They just need pick up the pace a little.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 PM

HD DVD isn't dead.
Oh you mean that Warners news thingy...
Yeah it blows but they are still making HD DVD's, well they say untill June anyway, But who knows anymore...
Hmmmmm
Old 01-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post
I like the plan, except I don't think it should be rebranded "DVD+". There's too much consumer confusion already.

I think they should merely keep the existing HD DVD branding, but change the "HD" part to a different color and de-emphasize it a tiny bit, such that people see "DVD" first, then a split-second later they notice the "HD" part. Much like how ESPN HD is branded.

They should have done this a year ago, IMHO. But it's not too late now.

In my hypothetical plan, I would rebrand it or more accurately I would ad a new DVD+ brand because:

1) It would actually help avoid consumer confusion.

Consumers are used to seeing highdef disks only in their own seperate section. They are also used to thinking of high def disks as only playing in their own seperate players. Most don't have any concept of a disk that will work in any dvd player they own but also works even better in the new hd dvd players.

Problem is that HD DVD group never really promoted the combo and twin disk (hybrids) very well. Since only disks were combos and only one twin disk was made people don't actually know they exist for the most part. They were a non factor for most consumers that even know about 'the war'.

DVD+ would help make that distinction in their mind but at the same time they would be told that it works in hd dvd players as well if they have one. For new players Toshiba should carry the hd dvd brand AND also add the DVD+ brand.

2) New brand has a fresh image. HD DVD brand has some negative baggage now, DVD+ gives them a new marketing tool.

They can keep the hd dvd brand of course but for marketing purposes they need a new message. The message is, we're the only format that works in standard dvd players and in new players. No need to waste your old equipment or your old disks (because we make those look better, "near highdef").

3) Coming in as DVD keeps them in all stores. Retailers may soon drop hd dvd players and software. If they send the players in as DVD players (DVD+) and the software in as enhanced DVDs to be sold in the DVD section. They'll be in every store and ever rental chain because they are still DVDs.

They would need a fresh start.