dvd issue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Default dvd issue

EDIT: I updated the firmware to 2.7 with no problems at all. I'm still having problems with this stupid disc.

I'm new to the hd dvd world. I bought a used A2 off of ebay, all the movies I played on it so far have worked. I bought Evan Almighty combo dvd brand new, put it in my a2 and it wouldn't work. Says it's not a valid dvd format. I turned it off about 5 times. Each time leaving it off for about 2 minutes, the last time I left it off for 5 minutes. Then it played, I'm about 2 minutes into the movie and I get "error code: 408bc504". I restarted the thing over, plays a few then says that same error. The latest firmware update is 2.5, and I'm afraid to upgrade it to 2.7. I'm paranoid that I'll break the dvd player updating it with my luck. Does anyone know whats wrong, if I have to absolutely update the firmware before I can watch this movie?

Last edited by untitled; 01-12-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Run the disc under hot water and then gently dry it off. There's a layer that doesn't always come off during manufacturing and this low-tech solution fixes that problem. I had this problem on my Anchorman disc which refused to start up at all, until I ran it under hot water for several minutes.

Some of those reading errors are indeed solved by firmware updates, but not this particular one.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 PM

You can also try to clear the presistant storage, some reports are that is can cause problems after a firmware upgrade
Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 AM

After the firmware update it still did it, as I said above. I turned it off, gave me the incorrect dvd format. I unplugged it after turning it off, the movie played. Hopefully I don't run into more problems with any other movies.