A3: Will we ever get LFE? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 AM

Default A3: Will we ever get LFE?

I just got an HD-A3. I've got it set to output bitstream, which the receiver recognizes as a Dolby Digital stream. But, has been pointed out on other threads, there is no LFE channel in the stream.

I went thought the THX setup on a standard def DVD. One test exercises all the channels one by one with white noise. The system was silent when the LFE got its turn.

My unit shipped with the 1.3 firmware.

Has anyone heard anything about a fix being in the works?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi I had that problem too. Go into the audio menu and leave spdif at bitstream then go to digital out HDMI and set to downmixed PCM. Everything should come through loud and clear.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:08 PM

I hope you're right. I'd love to keep this unit. The picture is fantastic!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:08 PM

[Edit: See later post. I had my receiver configured wrong.]

I'm sorry to report it didn't work.

I've confirmed the sub-woofer is set up correctly and working for other sources. And the receiver reports that it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal from the player when I run the THX test suite.

The player is outputting a completely silent LFE channel. It does the same for high definition discs as well.

How frustrating! <:-|

This player is non-functional for anyone like me who wants multi-channel sound but doesn't yet have a receiver that handles HDMI input (which would deliver all the audio, including a functioning LFE channel).

Last edited by sandman2; 01-12-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM

I had a similar problem on SD's a while back. Unless DTS was selected no sub output. It was actually a receiver setting for bass management. There is a setting on some receivers that limits the output of LFE unless you turn it off.

It is called Bass Peak Level (at least on Pioneer). If this is turned on you get nothing. So check your receiver settings as this might be what's happening to you.

My subs have their own peak management so it's like a filter before the filter.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm going to look into that. I'll report back later.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM

This really sounds like a setup specific problem. I have an A3 and get all the LFE just fine. My A3 is connected via optical to a Dolby Digital capable receiver, and is connected via an HDMI to DVI cable to my TV.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:18 PM

Gee that's too bad. My sub shakes the room, while my receiver spits out 6.1 surround. My receiver is a denon 2802 set to auto and it just kicks. Try page 21 of the manuel. That's what I did and the sound is awesome.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 PM

I thought there was a problem at first, but there is nothing wrong.

With standard dvds I noticed that the sub would always be on, I guess it would pickup the volume signal.

When I first popped in a HD disc--it would not turn on until something with considerable LFE was on onscreen. HD LFE is not sensitive to volume, it's sensitive to low frequency effects ONLY.

I hope this made sense.

-cheez avenger
Old 01-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Okay, it was my screw up. I plugged in my other DVD player, and no LFE from that either. I had the receiver configured incorrectly. However, the LFE signal seems to be very weak