Could Computer Support Sway this War? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Could Computer Support Sway this War?

Could we see support sway if HP, Acer, and Toshiba made HD drives standards in their computers (laptop and PC)? Toshiba already hinted to a similar move before the WB switch.

-joseph
Old 01-11-2008, 11:35 AM

I doubt it. I don't really think that many people use their computers to watch movies. Some yes, but not enough to sway the momentum of the war.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM

I got a January edition of the HP Home & Home Office Catalogue. I have pictures of how much their prices are for HD DVD drives (they show two, even a HD DVD+RW) and the Blu-ray drive (which is damn expensive).

EDIT: Here are the pictures I meant to send up here last night:

HD DVD-ROM drive

HD DVD+RW Drive is only $75 more!

Blu-ray Drive.... $475..........

(I know the photos are shitty. I didn't have the D70 on hand so I used the phone.)
If anyone wants details on the HP laptops that have these drives as options (as I saw in the magazine), I can give you details.

Last edited by Liqwid; 01-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM

PC support can keep HD-DVD from becoming a dead format, but I don't see how it could have much impact on the war for HDM. The only things that really matter to the war are studio support and price.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:12 PM

Well...people buy what they can use in the most places. I was thinking if they felt that their PC's used HDDVD then why would they buy a different player for their movies. Remember...consumers are simple (maybe not us but the majority are).

-joseph
Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 AM

There was an article this week about how Toshiba needs to push the Computer angle. It mentioned that watching movies (disks/dvds) on computers is much more common in the USA and could have a positive affect.

not sure about this, I've rarely watched a movie on the computer, wait (when traveling) the laptop may be slight exception.