Toshiba Dual Format player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 AM

Default Toshiba Dual Format player?

What do you guys think Toshiba could do right now making one? How long would it take to get one out? What kind of Price point could they release at? I was thinking one strategy of theirs could be to Tell Universal and Paramount. We will release a dual format player at a price people can't refuse. You guys start pumping out your catalogs. If they could get one out under 300 or close to 200 I think everyone would buy into it and both studios would sell their exclusives like hotcakes. This may be Toshiba's only option right now to keep these studios from leaving.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
What do you guys think Toshiba could do right now making one? How long would it take to get one out? What kind of Price point could they release at? I was thinking one strategy of theirs could be to Tell Universal and Paramount. We will release a dual format player at a price people can't refuse. You guys start pumping out your catalogs. If they could get one out under 300 or close to 200 I think everyone would buy into it and both studios would sell their exclusives like hotcakes. This may be Toshiba's only option right now to keep these studios from leaving.
Toshiba, I think--so I hear--, owns half of the manufacturing plant that makes the Samsung Duo players.

I see Samsung as Toshiba's dual format solution.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 AM

I have no doubt that if the current trend continues, Toshiba will be making dual format players. As of right now, they would be too expensive to produce to appeal to a mass market. The new Samsung has a MSRP of $599. By the end of 2008, I am sure Toshiba could produce one in the $200-$300 range for sure.