HD DVD's future beyond High Def Movies - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 AM

Default HD DVD's future beyond High Def Movies

Betamax lived a long life as the recording standard for Television production studios, can HD DVD do something similar? I think that the Xbox 3 and the Wii 2 will both come with built in HD DVD drives.

Why?

By 2010, the drive assembly will be dirt cheap, probably on the same level as DVD. Replication won't be an issue since existing DVD lines can be retrofitted to make HD DVDs. The Xbox certainly needs disc capacity greater than DVD9, so why go with the more expensive Blu Ray (and essentially boost a competitor for your XBL Marketplace downloads by having a BRD playback device built in) when you can do it cheaper with HD DVDs. I imagine HD DVD movies will be out of print by then, so they wouldn't compete with Microsofts download plans.

The Wii 2 may wait an additional generation before giving up DVD-9 to stay as cheap as possible, but they will eventually need something better than DVD-9.

Computer drives are another future, especially if Toshiba can start churning out cheap burners (<$100) and cheap discs (<$1/layer) they could survive as an computer optical media storage format. Heck, pirates would probably use them to sell counterfeit Blu movies. Toshiba's position in the laptop market puts them in a great spot to pull this off.

In short, Toshiba shouldn't s-can HD DVD just because they lose the Hi Def Movie war, there is still a lot of potential in the format.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

while that may sound ok in theory...who is to say that by the next game system cycle that we will even be using physical drives anymore?

Beyond that, if HD DVD is rendered obsolete this year, in 5 to 8 years (next game system cycle) we may be into a new media storage version....flash drives may be the way to go or something more advanced.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM

I don't see that HD-DVD will have a future beyond being included in LG's future Super-Multi-Format Drives
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM

I think, on the contrary, that HD-DVD will rebound. Blu however,will not benefit one yota from their Warner move. They have just managed to please their existing fanatic base, (the one that mock the others on this forum and others, as they seem to be the only one owning PS3s exclusively), and piss off the others, with maybe 2% switching sides.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:37 PM

HD DVD is definitely here to stay. There will always be HD DVD players to play back movies, and I agree with the OP that it will become the next step beyond regular DVDs for the PC world. The tech is inexpensive, optical media is inexpensive to produce, HD DVD discs are repairable if necessary (Blu-ray isn't), so I say bring on the HD DVD-RW drives and media!!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM

I agree.

And BTW: Is anyone aware of the sheer ammount of DVD forum supporters? Just looked up the DVD forum list and there are at least 500 entries so they should have enough money compared to the Blu-Ray camp with their 5-6 hardware sellers and 5 major studios.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Wether or not HD DVD stays in the movie industry the technology can still be used. Microsoft even pointed out that Game Develops could take advantage of those dics for games. People with XBOX addons could also play those games without having to buy a new xbox 360 needing that disc drive. On top of that HD DVD was approved on the specs and creation of the 51Gig HD DVD.

Mini Disk is still used with Radio Stations archiving radio shows and commercials.

There is still a use for the technology other than movies per se.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 PM

"Betamax had lost the format war to VHS by the late 1980s, but a staunch niche market of supporters meant that Betamax machines were still manufactured in America until 1993. Production continued in other parts of the world until 1998, then only in Japan until ceasing altogether in 2002. These days Betamax equipment is a rarity found mainly in the care of collectors."

I think it will be around a while.

http://http://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/beta/betamax.html