Toshiba Says Buyers Aren't Returning HD DVD Players for Blu-Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2008, 01:34 AM

Arrow Toshiba Says Buyers Aren't Returning HD DVD Players for Blu-Ray

Contrary to all the BDA FUD out there, Toshiba is reporting that HD DVD player owners are not returning their players for BD ones.
Why would anyone in their right mind return a perfect upconverting HD DVD player that only cost them $99 at Walmart?

Amazon is still showing the HD-A3 as the top selling DVD player at #36.
It leads the new Panasonic BD30 #116, and the Sammy 1400 #346.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...aI&refer=japan

Quote:
Toshiba Says Buyers Aren't Returning HD DVD Players for Blu-Ray

By Fred Fishkin and Rochelle Garner

Jan. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Toshiba Corp., the main backer of the HD DVD standard for new video-disc players, said customers aren't returning their purchases in favor of devices that use Sony Corp.'s competing Blu-ray format.

While industry support for HD DVD has shrunk, sales of the players remain ``robust,'' said Jodi Sally, vice president of marketing for Toshiba America.

``I've heard of no return issues at all regarding this,'' Sally said yesterday in an interview with Bloomberg Radio from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Time Warner Inc., the largest publisher of DVD titles, said last week it will stop offering movies with Toshiba's high- definition technology. By the end of May, the studio will only sell high-definition DVDs in Sony's Blu-ray standard. The decision gives Sony a boost in the industry's biggest format war since VHS beat out Betamax in the 1980s.

``There's no doubt about it, it was a surprise to us,'' Sally said. ``Warner being a partner with Toshiba for many years, it certainly was shocking.''

Walt Disney Co. and News Corp.'s Fox already back Blu-ray. Video players using the Sony format outsold HD DVD by 2-to-1 in the first half of 2007, according to Home Media Research.

Toshiba will continue to support the HD DVD format for home video players, Sally said.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Formerly peterhefer1

I like my A3, I had a few problems with movies skipping ( mainly online rentals ) but after the last firmware update movies have played without problems 100%.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM

My guess is that people who bought the $98 player cut the UPC code and sent away for the 5 free discs, so no they will be returning them...

I wounder if Toshiba will make a statement about the number of used HD DVD players being sold on ebay?...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamed Pegasus View Post
My guess is that people who bought the $98 player cut the UPC code and sent away for the 5 free discs, so no they will be returning them...

I wounder if Toshiba will make a statement about the number of used HD DVD players being sold on ebay?...
As I told another overly enthusiatic BD fan; I am an Ebay Powerseller, and your assumption is also WRONG!

There are 139 Toshiba HD-A2, 163 Toshiba HD-A3, 26 Toshiba HD-A35, and 12 Toshiba HD-XA2 right now for sale on Ebay.

BUT...There are 339 BD players on sale on Ebay as well...do the math.
Buisness as usual. There is no panic as you so eloquently claim.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM

It doesn't really matter. They're all either going to new owners or staying with the original owners. So what's the significance in this?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM

I'm surprised too - at best buy I didn't see any come back this past week. I was expecting at least a few. I think a large majority are outside of most stores return policies anyway - It would be interesting to see if Costco is getting many back - but... I would think that Costco shoppers would wait it out a bit longer too, since they have a wider return window.

Another item to consider is - people like HD DVD and the pain of having to upgrade to a dual player is too great. I'm keeping mine - but then again, I've enjoyed it since the day the first HD DVD player came out.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDanMaster View Post
As I told another overly enthusiatic BD fan; I am an Ebay Powerseller, and your assumption is also WRONG!

There are 139 Toshiba HD-A2, 163 Toshiba HD-A3, 26 Toshiba HD-A35, and 12 Toshiba HD-XA2 right now for sale on Ebay.

Funny how you only see 139 because when I searched I found 439...
Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDanMaster View Post

^^^^ What he said. I was just doing a search earlier to see if I could pick up an XA2 on the cheap to supplement my A35. There is no fire sale of people dumping HD DVD players. And sensibly so.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 PM

XBOX 360 Add Ons are still going for going for a good price on the bay.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamed Pegasus View Post
Funny how you only see 139 because when I searched I found 439...
139 was referring to the A2 player only. looks like you didn't finish reading his post. you are only here to preach blu supremacy.