What do you think of Warners timing to announce their exclusivity...Do you feel taken - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM

Default What do you think of Warners timing to announce their exclusivity...Do you feel taken

About a week or so before Christmas...I remember reading articles on various sites that Warner had made the statement that they were not going to switch to one side or the other and that they were staying neutral. I am sure many believed this statement from Warner and felt safe to go out and buy a hd dvd player for themselves or as a gift. Fast forward to 1/4/08...BAM!! Warner does the complete opposite of what they had stated their position was and surprises many new consumers. Many consumers were upset by this news. I am sure they can return the players back to where they bought it. Just trying to figure out why Warner was so quick to announce it exclusivity to blu so soon after the holidays. Thoughts???
Old 01-09-2008, 01:01 PM

I feel screwed with some things. kinda like they said that just to gain sales and then said the hell with anyone who bought any of their movies on HD. Sorry, Xmas is the biggest time for sales, and if they cared about customer, they wouldn't have let people run out, buy hd players, and hd movies.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
I feel screwed with some things. kinda like they said that just to gain sales and then said the hell with anyone who bought any of their movies on HD. Sorry, Xmas is the biggest time for sales, and if they cared about customer, they wouldn't have let people run out, buy hd players, and hd movies.
Yeah...I agree with that. On top of that...Warner is not ending their relationship with hd dvd until May!!!! Why?? To me, that is like the New England Patriots making a press statement annoncing that Brady will be traded after 08 season...before it even begins!!!!! Why bother getting excited about the 08 season when you know ahead of time that Brady will no longer be Patriot afterwards(I am just using an example about Brady, obviously. NO WAY PATS WILL EVER GET RID OF THEIR GOLDEN BOY) Paramount went to camp red right away. What is up with that??
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Yeah...I agree with that. On top of that...Warner is not ending their relationship with hd dvd until May!!!! Why?? To me, that is like the New England Patriots making a press statement annoncing that Brady will be traded after 08 season...before it even begins!!!!! Why bother getting excited about the 08 season when you know ahead of time that Brady will no longer be Patriot afterwards(I am just using an example about Brady, obviously. NO WAY PATS WILL EVER GET RID OF THEIR GOLDEN BOY) Paramount went to camp red right away. What is up with that??
exactly. I found that fishy too. Paramount said screw sales of Transformers on blu and went straight to HD DVD. Meanwhile, Warner tells Toshiba to piss off right before CES, thus ruining all of their planned talks. And then says they are going to stick around for a few more months...why?

I don't get it either.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 PM

I feel that they should of road out 08 before defecting, it just looks shitty the way they did it. It proves that one mans word means nothing. 0 Integrity!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM

They lied and I hate them for it. 17 of my HD DVDs are from Warners. I'm waiting to see what Universal and Paramount say before I buy anything else. I just wish they would hurry up and say it.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Honestly its not like any of us didnt know that WB was going to choose a side in JAN. That was posted all over the place. Yes it sucks they chose Blu but at least we get another 5 months worth of releases providing Paramount and Universal dont leave us.

Having said all that, I still find it distasteful that they dropped the bomb in the manner that they did and am anxiously awaiting official words from the HD DVD camp on what happens next.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 PM

How is this a hardware discussion? Warner doesn't produce hardware. The fact that many people just received new hardware and feel burnt is unfortunately a separate issue.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
exactly. I found that fishy too. Paramount said screw sales of Transformers on blu and went straight to HD DVD. Meanwhile, Warner tells Toshiba to piss off right before CES, thus ruining all of their planned talks. And then says they are going to stick around for a few more months...why?
Contractual obligation -

Quote:
According to BetaNews, after the Blu-ray press conference at Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Warner Bros. President Ron Sanders answered a question everyone has been wondering, whether Warner violated their contract to support HD DVD or not.

"Clearly, [Toshiba and the HD DVD Promotional Group] have reason to be upset... But we fulfilled our obligations to them. That's why we will continue to provide movies in the HD DVD format through May rather than stopping now. They very well could file a lawsuit, but we have done everything that was required of us. We did not violate any contract," said Sanders.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Warner told by most accounts half of their HDM customers "Screw You!" the arrogantly added "Now get out there and buy another player then re-buy those movies you already bought from us, cause we gotta make HDM work!"

In the weeks prior Warner watched HD DVD make great strides, as evidenced by the increase of their HD movies sold, catalog and new. Insiders/ people with access to the numbers were saying it was getting very close to a 50/50 split. Which to me is remarkable considering the significant difference in the player install base.

What was holding HDM back was not 2 formats (IMO) it was the fear of obsolesce. Of not being able to use or enjoy what you bought in the future. Which is why they profusely declared they had any intention of dropping support for either format during the holidays, because they thought the uncertainty would out weigh the impulse to buy.
Which is why what they did was the exact wrong decision. IF they had come out and said "We see a future for both formats and will continue to support both until at least 2010." bam format war over and the future of HDM secured. With avowed long term support the people considering HDm would be encouraged to buy in (either or both formats) knowing it would be secure. IF that had happened HD DVD would have sold millions of more SAP as would blu, all studios would go where the money is and both would be supported.

The argument about stores and too many Sku does not float with me, because with blu only they will have two sku for many, many years to come possibly well in to the life of the next, next generation home video.
Some may ask why would they want 3 skus instead of 2? Well they wouldn't and 3 skus would be temporary IMO because eventually HD would be bundled with the DVD, eliminating 1sku. I don't think it matters anyhow becasue they still have multiple skus between Pan&scan and the numerous special editions stores stock 4 different skus and that's just the DVD edition.

There is going to be alot of bitterness because of the time they chose to announce. Not even 2 weeks after Christmas and gifts given in good will have now been soured, a pleasant taste has turned to ash in too many people mouths, and they think this will help HDM?.. No I believe it will build resentment and combined with the force march of consumers to HDTVs by the government this kind of big brother tactic will not sit well with alot of Americans, who probably never cared too much for HDM in the first place.

The time to make a decision like this was years ago before mass adoption was starting. Warner waited too long to do this, now there is a rank ordor that will constantly plague Blu and HDM.
Team Blu made huge fuss over Paramount's leaving the fold and blasted it as a decision based solely on money. (Which IMO they had to do because of damaging reasons for dismissal Paramount gave) I do believe there was some money involved in some manner for Paramount, but I also believe their reasons for dropping blu had some validity. Team Bu may have outsmarted themselves with the smear campaign on paramount it left an impression that will follow the warner buy out.

To answer the OP I personally believe HD is the better format and yes I would have been pleased to have Warner exclusive support, but i also realize that it would have been as distasteful in timing and tone to the people on the other side of the fence. I don't feel taken, I will have my movies regardless. However I do feel Warner was disingenious and deceptive, using their position and insider information to winnow around and stab the HD group in the back in a manner specifically designed to destroy.

I see too many problems with blu from their players, profiles, to production. And I like the features and compatibility that HD DVD offers.
For these reasons I hope Paramount and Universal remain staunchly in HD's corner. If this happens Warner loses their gambit.
And I want two formats around anyway, the completion is an excellent thing and the improvements made to each format because of it wouldn't have happened other wise.