Which component would you use for S-Video? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: which component would you send out via S-Video?
High Def Gaming System 1 50.00%
High Def TV Signal 1 50.00%
High Def DVD Movies 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Which component would you use for S-Video?

If you didn't have enough high def inputs into your HDTV, which component (High Def game systems, High Def TV signal, or High Def DVD's) would you keep out of the loop, and send to the TV as an S-Video signal?
I imagine this is a No-Brainer, but I Thought I'd ask anyway.
I realize that there are Source Switches now for us. And now that there are Remote Controlled source switches, we don't really Have to make a choice.
HOWEVER, the reason I posted this POLL, is because I am just very curious as to what everybody is more interested in, and what they value most. Their hd games, hd tv, or hd movies.
I apologize for not making that more clear in the first place.

Last edited by cloudy; 02-18-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
If you didn't have enough high def inputs into your HDTV, which component (High Def game systems, High Def TV signal, or High Def DVD's) would you keep out of the loop, and send to the TV as an S-Video signal?
I imagine this is a No-Brainer, but I Thought I'd ask anyway.

I would not send ANY High Def signal to my HDTV as S-Video. Its defeating your purchase; S-Video will only give you a max of 480 resolution.

I would by a switching device. My HDTV which is several years old has two component and one DVI (HDCP compliant) input. I use component for my HTPC. I use a 2 port HDMI switcher (around $60) to connect the HDMI outputs of my Dish network HD receiver and HDMI output of my XA1. Then an HDMI>DVI cable to the HDTV.

Much better solution than sacrificing the HD output of any device, in my humble opinion.

Also, with all due respect, a little more patience between clicking the "Submit" button will result in fewer double posts.

Last edited by Cochise; 02-18-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:39 PM

NONE

The last time I used s-video seemed like ages ago.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 PM

Only 2 items I'd hook up S-Video are my Dreamcast and my LD player since those are the best Video Output possible for those. If it came down to a lack of HD inputs I'd go with something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Last edited by Ohgami; 02-18-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:44 PM

I would say neither like the others. I would much rather pull cords and replug them because all 3 items you have, the point of them is HD content. Having said that, the Most important would be your HD_DVD, or other wise, you might as well have gotten just a nice DVD player. The one you can skip out the most on is your gaming. Although the PS3 and 360 can do HD, not everybody who got one, purchased it for the sake of HD gaming. Some just wanted the next gen gaming console so its between that or HD TV viewing because there isnt a HUGE selection of HD channels yet and you mihght just not watch a whole lot of TV
Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 PM

I don't like this poll/question
Old 02-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Umm, there should be a none option, because None would be my vote. I didn't even hook up S video for my non HD hardware. Component is bare minimum I've gone in a couple years.