Rants of a burnt consumer - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Default Rants of a burnt consumer

Hello to all

I found this comprehensive website over the weekend upon learning the news of the Warner Bros. defection. This is my first post in any forum on the net. Finally has the consumer market made me upset enough about it that I must write my feelings rather than reading the frustrations of others!
On 12/22 I found the ultimate bargain at PC Richards, the Toshiba A30 for $199. With some research I decided the wait to enter the HD foray was over and at this price was too hard to pass, along with the 7 HD DVD's it came with. Much to my surprise, the next week, Best Buy has a buy 3 get 2 free on all HD DVD's! I jump on that bargain to test out my new HD DVD player. (Another story if you care to hear). This is all too good to be true! You know what they say!
Low and behold this weekend comes the ultimate news that Warner, New Line and HBO are all dropping the HD DVD format for BR! Well here I am and all the others before me with our jaws on the floor.
Tonight, after little thought, I have returned my ultimate bargain and will do the same when my 5 eagerly awaited HD DVD's arrive. I feel so betrayed and confused as a consumer. This was why I waited so long to see where the market was going. I thought the HD DVD technology was better but, later found BR had a more extensive and current catalog, along with a higher price tag. Which way to go? Well you the Studios and manufacturers made my mind up: Get my money back and stick with the few standard DVD's I want as they come out and wait to you all make up your mind and then we'll see what happens. Until then keep your HD DVD and BR! I wasn't replacing my DVD library anyway!
PS: I made one mistake in the past when I got an amazing deal on a Laserdisc player and movies at bargain prices ... lesson learned!
THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS PLEASE!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 PM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

i think this thread is a joke, i seriously doubt that you bought one of these, and that this was your first time ever posting a comment on the net.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 PM

Why do you think its a joke? Yes I did purchase an A30 and returned it and yes I am a first time poster to a thread. I watched 300 and quite impressed with the quality of the sound and movie. But why keep the player if its not going to be supported?
I have 120 standard DVDs on a Mitsubishi 5337.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 PM

i have no prb keeping my player and movies. They are still high def and great quality...no complaints there.
only thing that pisses me off is buying
HP box on HD and then having to get the rest on blu...ugh
Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac15074 View Post
Why do you think its a joke? Yes I did purchase an A30 and returned it and yes I am a first time poster to a thread. I watched 300 and quite impressed with the quality of the sound and movie. But why keep the player if its not going to be supported?
I have 120 standard DVDs on a Mitsubishi 5337.
so 300 doesn't play on your hd dvd player all of a sudden since warner went bd only? that sucks. i just enjoyed the bourne ultimatum on mine.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 AM

If buying a player, then losing the format war, was something that was going to rock your world, then you should have abstained or went format neutral. I bought the duo player. If any of you HD-DVD owners wanna blow out your collection, I'll gladly buy them. The movies look the SAME as blu-ray and will play for a while (until they get all scratched to hell). Sell your stuff on ebay and get out of it while you can....if not, don't cry about it. You can still watch the movies and use the player you paid for.

Quote:
o 300 doesn't play on your hd dvd player all of a sudden since warner went bd only?
I didn't read where he said that?!?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
so 300 doesn't play on your hd dvd player all of a sudden since warner went bd only? that sucks. i just enjoyed the bourne ultimatum on mine.
where did he say that 300 didn't play for him?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
where did he say that 300 didn't play for him?
I think he was sarcastically making a point.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 AM

HD DVD is still alive, not dead and they still have Paramount, Universal, Dreamworks, so why get rid of the HD DVD player and the software?

I will continue to support HD DVD and refuse to spend one single penny on a boo ray!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcma View Post
I think he was sarcastically making a point.
oic... my bad. Its not a matter of people acting like the discs stopped working because of the Warner deal. OP is brand spanking new to HDM and doesn't want to build up a collection of movies on a losing format. I don't blame him. I'd hope he would do the same if it was Blu on the losing side as well.