Region Free! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Region Free!

Does anyone know if the HD-E1's that are bought in the uk are region free? I have one and I am just confused by the reviews you get on-line saying some are and some arn't.

Can anyone help?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 AM

I thought that all HD DVDs were all region free, haven't had any problems at all with the films on my Xbox 360 HD DVD add on (I've got a PAL machine)

EDIT: I think the problem will start when they do region lockdowns, then you'll only be able to buy region 2 disks (if they keep the same region coding)

Last edited by Realtime; 02-17-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Just wondering why play.com say they are region 2. Might just buy a region one and see what happens!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:25 AM

Most likely it is a misprint. To my knowledge there are NO region coding on any HD disc's to date. This is one of the key points for me supporting HD. Sony tries to lock us in.

Again IMO opinion, not trying to argue, like I have said in the past, it is about personal preferrance. For me I like the freedom to be able to get a movie that might be caught up in a legal battle here in the States, but not elsewhere in the world. Many times movies are released in other countries, and not here b/c or ridiculous legal battles. Plus I like that one of the arguments is that a film is BD exclusive, and other countries are releasing an HD version.

Movie Studios here fight over $$$, and we have to suffer. It happens way, way, way too much in Hollywood. This is one business where he consumer always takes the hit. So I love hat fact the are no region codes.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 AM

no HD-DVD players are region capable at this point.

All HD-DVD players are REGION FREE..... PERIOD.

All HD-DVD discs are REGION FREE...... PERIOD!

Lego
Old 02-19-2007, 12:24 AM

With all this lack of new releases for HD-DVD, while BR keeps rolling in titles. It's still nice to see that we are region free.
Something BR can not look forward to is shopping around for imports. But we sure can.
It may be a simple little thing, but at least it's one thing to look forward to. It's fun to shop around the different Amazon sites for what's coming in the future. The new import forum is really nice to look at. It gives me some hope for our format.
I may be grabbing at straws, but at least it's something.
I am right aren't I? That BD had region coding?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 AM

BD has region encoding but it only effects those titles where it has been activated.

Lego
Old 02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

It probably says it's "region 2" because that's what people are familiar with when purchasing DVD players. It also has a different moniker. It is the HD-A1 here in the States.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Play.com say region 2 as a disclaimer due to the fact they sell standard DVD's also.
THERE IS NO REGION CODING ON HD DVD
Old 02-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Special Member

Its the same thing elsewhere...Region 2 really has no meaning except that is where it was released....It is probably a carry over from the DVD side which they dont remove to differentiate the movies and their origin of release.