Where do you even get an XA2 and how much do they cost at present? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM

Default Where do you even get an XA2 and how much do they cost at present?

Look obviously we know that the future doesn't look all that good for HD DVD. But that has nothing and everything to do with my question. I want a player that can bitstream so that I can enjoy my lossless audio on the HD DVDs I will obviously be enjoying forever. I personally have never even seen one of these players anywhere. Where should I go to get one? Has Toshiba said whether an XA3 is on the way? Should I chance waiting for a "possible" fire-sale? All help from XA2 owners is appreciated.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Was curious myself, and did a quick price check. Wow! This model is pricey compared to other HD DVD players. Amazon and ValueElectronics.com have them for $599 w/ free shipping. If you use eBay, I see new units with "Buy it Now" for around the same price; you might snag a used one for several hundred less. I only see the price dropping for all HD DVD players.

Best Buy has them in stock sometimes; in store I've only seen them in stores with a Magnolia section.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 PM

Hi, I have a XA2 looks and sound excellent with my new ONKYO 805 that reproduces lossless audio. The construction and more about XA2 are the best and top quality of line from Toshiba. I can wide recommend it.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Look obviously we know that the future doesn't look all that good for HD DVD. But that has nothing and everything to do with my question. I want a player that can bitstream so that I can enjoy my lossless audio on the HD DVDs I will obviously be enjoying forever. I personally have never even seen one of these players anywhere. Where should I go to get one? Has Toshiba said whether an XA3 is on the way? Should I chance waiting for a "possible" fire-sale? All help from XA2 owners is appreciated.
Even if Toshiba finds a way to keep HD DVD going strong, I wouldn't expect to see an XA3 or something. Basically, the A35 is the replacement for the XA2. They had to sacrifice some features like the Reon upscaling chip in order to make the price more competitive. The A35 is the top of the line player for the third generation, which is what the XA2 represented for the second generation. The XA2 is very hard to find at this point (not counting used models). I'm interested in it also.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 PM

If you want I can sell it mine XA2.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Was curious myself, and did a quick price check. Wow! This model is pricey compared to other HD DVD players. Amazon and ValueElectronics.com have them for $599 w/ free shipping. If you use eBay, I see new units with "Buy it Now" for around the same price; you might snag a used one for several hundred less. I only see the price dropping for all HD DVD players.
Best Buy has them in stock sometimes; in store I've only seen them in stores with a Magnolia section.
But only in the US as it seems. The prices in Europe are still extremely high. And the XA1 alone costs 600-700 here.

EDIT: Oh sorry. Wasn't the XA1 but the XE1. But still it should be a first generation HD-DVD player.

Last edited by Blinx123; 01-06-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 PM

they must have just raised the price after the announcement...why, I don't know. But I was just looking at this player on Friday night for $499 at Amazon and now it's $599.

As far as waiting for a firesale...I thought one would of occurred when the 3rd generations came out but it never happened. Currently, even the A1's are still pretty high in price. Granted, like I said, with the latest announcements I have no idea what's going to happen.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Default XA2 in Canada

I got the XA2 in June of '07.MSRP was $1,000.00.I picked it up at $800.00.It is an outstanding unit, I upgraded from A1 and it was definitly an immense improvement.Regardless of what happens with the HD DVD format this for my money blows away the Panasonic DMP BD 10 which is a pretty descent BD player.
Functionality of HD far superior, remote easier and consistently reliable(never have to push the command more than once), and the audio is superb.
Wehall see what happens in the future but whatever happens,I have 100+ HD DVD' s that I will enjoy watching for years.
The blacks are so crisp and the color is perfect.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
But only in the US as it seems. The prices in Europe are still extremely high. And the XA1 alone costs 600-700 here.

EDIT: Oh sorry. Wasn't the XA1 but the XE1. But still it should be a first generation HD-DVD player.
I beleive the XE1 in Europe is the equivalent of the North American XA2, since Europe never got the N.A. A1 or XA1.

My first player was the XA1, and it was terrific. I kind of wish now I kept it, but I eBayed it after buying my A35. At least my XA1 is in a happy home in Germany now, via eBay.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:47 AM

thanks for all the replies. I don't think I totally realized the A35 was supposed to be the "new" top player. So I'm thinking that obviously the XA2 is pretty rare. Somehow I thought it was more available. Guess that's why I have never seen one.
Well even though I would love to get the Reon chip this sounds like too much effort and $$ right now. Guess I can always get one later, so no worries.