Upconverter instead of going Blu ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 AM

Default Upconverter instead of going Blu ?

Hey guys.
As much as I hate the news, I am still going to buy as many HDDVDs as I can while they're still available. However I refuse to buy Bluray or any new HD format for the next few years and was considering purchasing an Upconverting DVD player or even an A30. But I guess my question is, " Is the picture improvement much better ? "
I'm going to go back to buying $15 SD movies in hopes of BR going the way of the Laserdisc. Any advice on my future options would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:55 AM

I have a denon 2930 with the Reon and I can say honestly some SD dvds look very close to HD quality. A good friend has the XA2 which has the same chip and works just as well and would be a great choice for anyone who has HDdvd.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Hard to go wrong with a Denon. You might also look at Oppo, these are also very good at up converting. A lot of people that have HD players still use these for their standard DVD movies.

http://www.oppodigital.com/
Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Upconverting is the best way to read SD, no question asked. Since HD-DVD issued at least 60 % of the available titles even if they were Blu too, you might as well pick them up for 10 bucks a piece.
I think that buying 30 blu discs is like buying a HD-DVD player with 120 discs. Same price. More movies. Same encoding for most. No brainer.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
Hard to go wrong with a Denon. You might also look at Oppo, these are also very good at up converting. A lot of people that have HD players still use these for their standard DVD movies.

http://www.oppodigital.com/
I got a Oppo and bought the A3 because I needed another upconverting DVD player and it added the feature of HDM to try out for less than the Oppo.

The A3 is dead on par with the oppo for PQ on upconversion and all ready can be had for less and will continue to be cheaper.

HDM never proved IMO to be outstanding enough to warrant a full jump.

I'll enjoy the upconverter, Oppo and the A3 for a long time yet. HDM won't be looked at again for a LONG time!!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 AM

I think the answer to your question depends on the size of the TV you're going to be viewing your movies on. When I had my PS3 hooked up to my 27" 1080i tv, there was very little difference between my upconverted DVD's and my Blu-rays. However, since then, I've moved up to a 61" 1080p tv, and there's a MUCH bigger difference. I wouldn't say that the upconverted DVDs looked bad, but I would guess that most people on HDD are audio/videophiles and look to a higher standard.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Formerly peterhefer1

I actually think the upconverted dvd's on a ps3 are pretty descent depending on the encoding from the studio.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 AM

Upconverted DVD's are NOT that spectacular. I've been watching a few movies that aren't available on HD yet, and I am less than impressed with the upconversion. I don't think people really understand what's going on with an upconverted DVD, but I can tell you that it is not the same "1080p" you see in HD. It will always be blurry and grainy. It makes no sense to sell an HD-DVD player and go buy an upconverting DVD player. Completely pointless......
Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Quality depends on the title. A lot of the SD titles I have tried look just fine with upconversion. 'Bourne Ultimatum' looked pretty poor in SD though. (I tried both sides of the combo disc - maybe it's intentional? )

1080p? Well, yeah... You're definitely not going to get that kind of quality. But on a 720p television, it's quite acceptable.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
Upconverted DVD's are NOT that spectacular. I've been watching a few movies that aren't available on HD yet, and I am less than impressed with the upconversion. I don't think people really understand what's going on with an upconverted DVD, but I can tell you that it is not the same "1080p" you see in HD. It will always be blurry and grainy. It makes no sense to sell an HD-DVD player and go buy an upconverting DVD player. Completely pointless......
I agree. Why is he dumbing down his viewing experience so drastically? upconverted DVD is not in the same league with true High Definition. Not even close.