How long before we see Toshiba dual format players? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Default How long before we see Toshiba dual format players?

Assuming HD DVD doesn't recover from the Warner news, how long before Toshiba makes a dual format player? Considering the current combo players are HD DVD players with more "bandwidth", it seems to me like the mark up on them is pretty high. I mean how hard (or expensive) would it really be for the hd-a4 to play blu-rays as well? So I could see Toshiba undercutting even the PS3 and still keeping HD DVD viable with 3 exclusive studios. I'm also not convinced that Toshiba loses all that much money on their players. If they come out with a dual format player it will be their fourth generation hd player, and surely they have lowered costs. I don't see them abandoning HD DVD but if the writing is on the wall, they can still take a piece of sony's pie. I'm just curious to see if I'm the only one who sees this scenario as likely. Cause I'm not selling my Hd Dvds or buying a gimped blu-ray player. But a decently priced combo and I would go that route.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboris View Post
Assuming HD DVD doesn't recover from the Warner news, how long before Toshiba makes a dual format player? Considering the current combo players are HD DVD players with more "bandwidth", it seems to me like the mark up on them is pretty high. I mean how hard (or expensive) would it really be for the hd-a4 to play blu-rays as well? So I could see Toshiba undercutting even the PS3 and still keeping HD DVD viable with 3 exclusive studios. I'm also not convinced that Toshiba loses all that much money on their players. If they come out with a dual format player it will be their fourth generation hd player, and surely they have lowered costs. I don't see them abandoning HD DVD but if the writing is on the wall, they can still take a piece of sony's pie. I'm just curious to see if I'm the only one who sees this scenario as likely. Cause I'm not selling my Hd Dvds or buying a gimped blu-ray player. But a decently priced combo and I would go that route.
the cost for toshiba to even be able to use blu-ray would be outrageous
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboris View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Samsung has had more experience with Blu than anyone else and they still can't get it right. I've had my Bd-p1200 for two months and am waiting for my third update so I can see POTC AWE. Judging from that and the threads in the duo-format forum there is room for a reliable Duo format player. If Toshiba builds it, I'm in!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 PM

bd sucks in my opinion . it seems like there are always problems with there disks. if toshiba makes a dual player i will buy though.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 PM

The specifications on BluRay seem to change on a weekly basis. Wait for Sony to nail down their specs before Toshiba downgrades their players.