Xbox 360 can decode Dolby TrueHD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-02-2008, 07:03 PM

Question Xbox 360 can decode Dolby TrueHD?

I was reading the interview with Amir Majidimehr about HD DVD and in the interview he says
Quote:
On our end, we made sure that the HD DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 had Dolby TrueHD decoding. And first-gen Toshiba HD DVD players already have TrueHD decoders built-in. So both of us [Microsoft and Toshiba] have made TrueHD standard in our players. That is what we felt we had to do to give the studios the comfort that, if anytime they want to add TrueHD, they can.
now I was under the impression that the Xbox 360 could only do Dolby Digital, could anyone clarify? BTW here is the link to the interview http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/featu...interview.html

Last edited by Dark Lord Greg; 01-02-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM

Obviously it can be decoded since you have the option to output it as DTS. The 360 decodes the TrueHD and re-encodes it to DTS or DD. I think the reason you can't get TrueHD from the add-on is something hardware specific inside the 360. Might not be able to output LPCM?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
Obviously it can be decoded since you have the option to output it as DTS. The 360 decodes the TrueHD and re-encodes it to DTS or DD. I think the reason you can't get TrueHD from the add-on is something hardware specific inside the 360. Might not be able to output LPCM?
If it can decode TrueHD and re-encodes it to DD... why the hell can't I get 5.1 from mine?

:-(

I'm very angry right now because my PS3 is sending 5.1 no problem... but my 360 is having troubles.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 AM

i was about to write my whole reply again, when i realized you were the same person who posted this in the videogame section, i replied to your thread there for ya.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=40461

soup
Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
i was about to write my whole reply again, when i realized you were the same person who posted this in the videogame section, i replied to your thread there for ya.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=40461

soup
Yeah, sorry about that. I should have either not posted here, or put a link to my thread to make it less confusing. I was tired and frustrated and not thinking.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferEternal View Post
If it can decode TrueHD and re-encodes it to DD... why the hell can't I get 5.1 from mine?

:-(

I'm very angry right now because my PS3 is sending 5.1 no problem... but my 360 is having troubles.
Your 360 is hooked up with the red and white audio cables isn't it? You need to use either HDMI(If you have an HDMI model) or optical.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
Your 360 is hooked up with the red and white audio cables isn't it? You need to use either HDMI(If you have an HDMI model) or optical.
No, I had the optical cable hooked up, I just hadn't changed the settings for audio from the HD DVD. It's fixed now.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 PM

Its important to realize that ANYTHING that has the official HD DVD logo on it, it must be able to decode TrueHD in AT LEAST 2 channel. Does it mean whatever you get is the full amount? No. It just means it is able to decode it and output some sort of sound from that track in some form or another.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 PM

anytime you use an optical connection you are not getting the FULL Truehd because of bandwidth limitations. so when you use an optical cable you are NOT getting the truest TUEHD if that makes any sense. You only get downrezzed hd audio. can't remember the exact MBS. I think it's 1.5.

Yes, all HD DVD products must be able to decode the TruehD signal, but how this signal is outputted is what matters. sometimes the lossless signal is compromised depending on hardware limitations.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
anytime you use an optical connection you are not getting the FULL Truehd because of bandwidth limitations. so when you use an optical cable you are NOT getting the truest TUEHD if that makes any sense. You only get downrezzed hd audio. can't remember the exact MBS. I think it's 1.5.

Yes, all HD DVD products must be able to decode the TruehD signal, but how this signal is outputted is what matters. sometimes the lossless signal is compromised depending on hardware limitations.
sorry to dig up an old thread but i came across this when googling truehd support for 360, and had to correct this for anyone elese that comes across it in the same way. toslink has almost unlimited bandwidth. HDMI 1.3c has an audio bandwidth of 36.86Mbit.
TOSLINK has a bandwidth of 125Mbit. if you had unlimited processing power on either end of the fiber cable then it could be as high as 1tb/s. so infact your completly wrong, hdmi has the inferior bandwidth the reason its being pushed for hdmi is due to the drm/hdcp issue