A3 help. Please! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Exclamation A3 help. Please!

Has the A3 had any updates? I'm trying to watch BackDraft and keep on getting the error code: 408bc504. What update are they on anyway?

Just for the record. This is the first time the movies ever been watched. I just got it in from the BOGO yesterday.

Also when I go to update it says "Can not find our server." Can someone please help
Old 01-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Yes, there is a firmware update for the a3. make sure after you update your player that you initilize it in the setup menu for the update to take effect. You can either download the update by plugging your player in with the ethernet port on the back, or find the nice firmware update post someone has posted in the hd dvd forums.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:05 PM

I got the same error on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Bourne Ultimatum and Ocean's 13.

I was told it was a disc read error. I took my A3 back to Best Buy and they gave me another brand new one (also got the two free movies in the box again ). Still got the same errors when I played the movies. So I'm thinking it's the movies. I'm going to take Harry Potter back and see if it happens again.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 PM

When you go into network or ethernet settings on your A3 (I don't quite remember exactly what it's under), make sure that DHCP and DNS are set to ON

I have no idea why they don't turn those on by default but it won't update if you don't set those to on. Try updating after you do that.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM

moepain4u, sounds like you need to update your player also. make sure you initilize the player after. I had the same problem with bourne and after i initilized, it worked fine.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moepain4u View Post
(also got the two free movies in the box again ).
Wow! Nice move.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randellg View Post
Has the A3 had any updates? I'm trying to watch BackDraft and keep on getting the error code: 408bc504. What update are they on anyway?

Just for the record. This is the first time the movies ever been watched. I just got it in from the BOGO yesterday.

Also when I go to update it says "Can not find our server." Can someone please help

I had to order the D3 update from Toshiba, no other way I could upload it for some reason. It took almost 2 weeks to get it, but the guy told me they were out of stock...But, now it's working great so far.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm starting to think it's the disc. AfterI updated the player I still couldn't get it to work So I'm gonna get AMZ to send another.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 PM

After many months of reading about this error, I finally got it on a brand new disc myself. The solution was to run the disc under hot water and wipe the water droplets off with a soft cloth (be gentle). I had read about this dozens of times, and was surprised that it actually worked!

I think there's a coating layer that doesn't come off during the disc manufacturing process, and your own pass with hot water helps solve that surface defect.

There could be some other reason your discs are unreadable, this is not the only cause. You might also want to try skipping ahead to the next chapter when you know the problematic area is about to come up. This doesn't fix the disc, but at least you can view around the bad spot on the disc.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM

I exchanged my Bourne Ultimatum last week, got a brand new disc and just updated my D3 today.

Bourne Ultimatum still freezes. I'm starting to think I'll never see the end of this great flick....

This is the only HD DVD I've had problems with, including rented titles. What the hell is wrong with it?