Pans Labyrinth audio help for Dummys - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Pans Labyrinth audio help for Dummys

Help! I can't get audio from Pans Labyrinth, only in the logo and menu area do I hear anything. I'm using a PC with PowerDVD 7, the menu shows spanish DTS Master 7.1 audio but no radio button to select. I would assume this means it's the default audio. I know there is no english audio. My system is using 5.1 audio out of a X-Fi soundcard and all other dvd's work fine. I'm not very technical with this stuff, so a layman's version would be great.

TIA,
Schlim66

PS. Mods, if this is in the wrong place please move, thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 11:18 PM

There's only the one audio track on Pan's Labyrinth. There's no Dolby mix or anything other than the DTS-HD MA track. You get it and like it.

Do you have any other HD discs with DTS-HD MA? All DTS-HD streams contain a core legacy DTS track, and the player is supposed to recognize this and extract that core. Power DVD 7 does DTS decoding, so maybe it has a bug with DTS-HD tracks, and is failing to find the core track in there?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
There's only the one audio track on Pan's Labyrinth. There's no Dolby mix or anything other than the DTS-HD MA track. You get it and like it.

Do you have any other HD discs with DTS-HD MA? All DTS-HD streams contain a core legacy DTS track, and the player is supposed to recognize this and extract that core. Power DVD 7 does DTS decoding, so maybe it has a bug with DTS-HD tracks, and is failing to find the core track in there?
That seems to be the case. Out of curiosity, I checked Pan in my laptop, no audio. So, I pulled out The Untouchables, which also has a DTS-HD track, and again no audio.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 AM

Just out of curiosity (and to be a bit of a flame-bait ), what version of Windows are you running? If it's Vista, I would honestly bet that it thinks you must be stealing someone's intellectual property and is shutting down the audio because you probably have a S/PDIF audio output which means that the audio can be listened to digitally without encryption and the MPAA just cannot have the possibility of you wanting to steal that audio from the movie. Just admit it, you are a thief, I am a thief, we are all thieves, THIEVES I TELLS YOU!!!

On the serious side, if you are running Vista, that could be a possibility, or a "feature" of PowerDVD.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:22 AM

I am using Vista, so maybe thats the case! Just for fun, I dragged the main EVO file from my Pans rip into MPC and suprise, It played the audio but no video. Maybe I should try using both at the same time, lol! I'm about to use my Pans disk for a frisbee, I'm so fed up!

Schlim66

PS. anyone want to buy a slightly used Pans Labyrinth?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 AM

Update,
My Pans Labyrinth is no longer going to be used as a frisbee nor is it for sale! I just downloaded the Japanese version of ArcSoft Total Media Extreme and installed it. Once I figured out the Japanese menu, it played in their Digital theatre without any problems! So what is the problem with PowerDVD? Anyone have any hints or help? If not, it looks like I'll be dumping PowerDVD next Tues when the english version of ArcSoft is released.

Schlim66
Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 AM

I'd email Power DVD and find out what's up. It's very bizarre to say the least.