HD-XA2 sound problems (Face/Off) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Default HD-XA2 sound problems (Face/Off)

Just got a sweet deal on a demo of a HD-XA2 finally. I've had one on order with Best Buy since beginning of November 2007. It's canceled now.

Anyways, I watched the first hour of Transformers, and it was amazing for the sound, a lot better than my add-on. For the picture, can't say that it was that much of a difference. But the machine was soooo much quieter (thank god).... Anyways, movie went without any hic-ups, Waterworld just after, again no hic-ups. Watched Pan's Labyrinth that evening. Amazing picture and sound, I'm so glad now that I have Lossless audio now for my HDDVD's. And again everything went fine.

Now here is the problem, I watched Face/Off, really great picture (for an older title), I chose sound in DD+EX instead of the DTS 6.1 (they are both encoded at the same bit rate anyways). And for some reason, approx. every 25 to 30 minutes, the sound would just cut off for less than a second (noticeable). Anyways, would rewind the movie to see if it would do it again, and it didn't. Did this all through the movie (quiet scenes and action scenes). Approx 5 times in the movie. And then watched Flags of our Father right after in DD+, and no problems.

I've never had these problems with the 360 add-on (Never had a movie hic-up or not play at all). Now, I'm bitstreaming to my receiver instead of letting the player do the decoding. Could it be my receivers problem? I actually haven't tried it again with the other soundtracks or letting the player do the decoding. But if it was my receiver, wouldn't it have done it with Pan's Labyrinth in DTS HD 7.1?

I'm wondering if other people have had this problem with this player with these settings. Is it just a fluke. (5 times in a movie, don't think so). I'm going to be watching more movies over the holidays, so I'll be able to see if it's just that movie.

And one last question, should I report it to Toshiba?

Thanks for any of the help

PS: What would be the best settings in the Toshiba player for my type of setup? I usually let the TV or the receiver do all of the video and sound settings.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM
analog/digital audio expert

That is funky. I have used an XA2 for 6 months+ and had no audio issues except 24fps synch in v2.5.

First make sure you have v2.7 firmware installed. Then, isolate whether it is your receiver or the XA2 by trying the same thing with the analog outputs to the analog inputs of your receiver. If the problem does not occur, it's more likely in the receiver (though this isn't conclusive). My bet it's in the player.

If it is, you should report it to Toshiba. They seem to a) care about support issues on these and b) put out fixes. I reported two bugs they fixed within weeks.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
First make sure you have v2.7 firmware installed. Then, isolate whether it is your receiver or the XA2 by trying the same thing with the analog outputs to the analog inputs of your receiver. If the problem does not occur, it's more likely in the receiver (though this isn't conclusive). My bet it's in the player.
I'd like to try it in analog. But then when there is a soundtrack that is 7.1. I probably won't be able to hear it. (ie: Pan's Labyrinth). I've also updated already to 2.7 and also updated my receiver firmware too (don't know what it did though, except that it took over an hour to do it). Was done the day that I received them. But what I would like to know.

1) Are you letting the receiver decode the sound or the player?
2) Does your receiver support High Definition sounds?
3) And lastly, it has only happened in one movie up to date (Face Off), but to be fare, I've only played 5 movies up to date. (Will watch 2 more tonight probably). Have you watched Face Off yet?

Thanks for the reply though
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM
analog/digital audio expert

At the current time I use analog out 5.1 on the XA2. So my particular processor is using only analog inputs right now. it's an older high-end audio processor, great 5 channel analog, but only decodes DVD dolby digital and DTS. You could probably learn a lot using the 5.1 analog and just skipping the two channels for the purpose of debugging this...

Don't have Face Off, so no comparison to make, sorry.