ps3's not selling, should help HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Default ps3's not selling, should help HD DVD

I was at a Costco earlier today, and I saw a stack of at least 25 PS3's (bundles for $699). I talked with the warehouse manager. He said they have sold a total of 4 in three days.
I'm just thinking (And obviously this is just speculation, and Hope on my part), but if the PS3 is truly what "everybody" wants, shouldn't they be selling out as soon as they get into the stores? I mean, they've only been out for 3 months. Shouldn't the demand still be very High?
Or is it possible that the frenzy in November had less to do with the "need to have factor", and more to do with the Holiday rush, along with the entrepreneurial possibilities? I mean now that the holiday's are over, and now that the units are only netting a small profit on Ebay, perhaps the hype is over, along with the interest?!?
I'm guessing that the unit will have another increase in sales soon, with people getting their Tax refunds. But after that, I expect sales will die down again, and stay down until the next holiday season.
I'm not really trying to Bash the PS3. I'm just wondering if people are now more interested in choosing between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, rather than HD-DVD and PS3 (w/Blu-Ray).
I just want the better format to win, based on the consumer, rather than the retailers.
The Departed being sold at BB for 22.99 is certainly helpful to the HD-DVD format.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

They're still selling strong. Estimates are 200,000 sold in January.

Units in stores doesn't equal no demand.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 PM

this old story...

it's been a cold cake since after x'mas.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
They're still selling strong. Estimates are 200,000 sold in January.

Units in stores doesn't equal no demand.
Locally no best buy had a PS3 in stores at all. It's primary because of Blu-ray.

I am curious this topic seams like it should be in the smack down area.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
I was at a Costco earlier today, and I saw a stack of at least 25 PS3's (bundles for $699). I talked with the warehouse manager. He said they have sold a total of 4 in three days.
I'm just thinking (And obviously this is just speculation, and Hope on my part), but if the PS3 is truly what "everybody" wants, shouldn't they be selling out as soon as they get into the stores? I mean, they've only been out for 3 months. Shouldn't the demand still be very High?
Or is it possible that the frenzy in November had less to do with the "need to have factor", and more to do with the Holiday rush, along with the entrepreneurial possibilities? I mean now that the holiday's are over, and now that the units are only netting a small profit on Ebay, perhaps the hype is over, along with the interest?!?
I'm guessing that the unit will have another increase in sales soon, with people getting their Tax refunds. But after that, I expect sales will die down again, and stay down until the next holiday season.
I'm not really trying to Bash the PS3. I'm just wondering if people are now more interested in choosing between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, rather than HD-DVD and PS3 (w/Blu-Ray).
I just want the better format to win, based on the consumer, rather than the retailers.
The Departed being sold at BB for 22.99 is certainly helpful to the HD-DVD format.
Don't get your hd-dvd hopes up , I've been in stores where staff have told me they need to get more stock in every few days on the other hand.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 PM

I'm actually looking for a PS3 but can't find one. Go figure.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
Locally no best buy had a PS3 in stores at all. It's primary because of Blu-ray.

I am curious this topic seams like it should be in the smack down area.
The reason I didn't post this in the smackdown area is because I really wasn't trying to bash PS3.
I was just flat out amazed to find so many units readily available in my area. And even more amazed when I found out they have been there a few days.
So I decided to voice my opinions on it, and come up with some possible reasons.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 AM

6 PS3's (60GB) sitting in the open at the Best Buy I went to today to pick up The Departed.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
I have seen many at Target if you've got one near you.

I think the biggest problem is it seems that games are not coming very fast.

Last edited by Mobius; 02-14-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
Gamestop.com and Circuitcity.com have them in stock without a bundle. They've been in stock online for a while. They are definitely not hard to come by now.