Bad Player, Bad Player, no no! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Bad Player, Bad Player, no no!

Last night I started watching Matador, which I have had from Blockbuster the better part of the month and my wife and I were just settling down to watch it, and in the freaking credits, the picture started to break up and then it froze. And when it froze, it was solid unbreakable frozen-- all front panel buttons useless; remote useless. To get the disc out, I had to do a powerplug based reset, wait for the horribly long boot, and then check the disc.

Good news- I am fairly confident it is the disc. There were circular scratches in the disc starting about 4mm into the optical area- I would have never assumed this disc would play if I had just looked at the disc first.

But here is what sucks- Toshiba- get your f'n act together you s***heads! On any read only media- there should never be a point where playback locks the unit so much I have to pull the plug. If your OS and your drive EVER have that type of condition, you need to put a hard reset button on the front of the unit.

This is NO excuse for a piece of CE equipment to be designed like this. I understand that the OS is more complicated than the CDs or DVDs that have come previously- but if I hit the eject button on the front of the unit, that should be hardwired to the drive itself - not require OS intervention to preset the drive tray and/or disc.

The long (65 seconds) boot time is unfathomable to me. Isn't this a Linux based machine? I have OLD, OLD PCs running Linux that boot in 10-15 seconds. Put the damn thing in a hybernated state, could it not use some of it's static memory for that?

The ultimate joke, I suppose by your engineers, is to label the power button ON/STANDBY. Didn't we used to launch B-52s from a STANDBY condition faster than your HD-DVD players go from STANDBY to ON?

3rd Generation and this is how your equipment behaves. You have one thing going for you, you are the only game in town for an HD-DVD player (unless I wanted to pay a lot more money to get the 360 and have ugly multiple devices to play movies). Here is hoping that a real alternative appears soon with equipment that behaves properly.

End of Rant.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Well I have the same issues with the Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray stand alone player, where if the disc is too scratched up to be played it totally freezes the player, and the only solution is to unplug the unit. The start up time is also kind of long (maybe about 2-5 seconds shorter than the A3 though depending).

These are Panasonic SA's, but I heard the Sony ones also do this.

So the problem isnt HD-DVD or Blu-ray its the technology. I remember when dads first gen DVD player took an eternity to load up. Compared to my Oppo that thing felt like it was going BACK in time to load up.

Though nothing boots up faster than my PS3, and until we get to 5th or 6th gen players, I dont think any SA player will beat it HD-DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm guessing you tried this but doesn't holding down the standby/on button for 10-15 seconds cause a hard reset?

I agree about the boot up times, my laboured ageing PC with in excess of 50 start up processes loads quicker.

Bizarrely enough I had a Panasonic DVD DV588 player that also took a long time to start up, highly rated on Cnet. Didn't understand the start up time.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

yep... manual say's hold down the power button to reset if locked.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 PM

My last attempt before unplugging was a 30-second hold on the power button. I also tried about 15 seconds on Eject.

It isn't the technology, it is the design-- any piece of software or firmware can be designed so the power button behaves more like a hard reset, any drive eject can be designed to instantly unmount and present the tray when the button is pushed-- and if nothing else, a hard reset can be put behind the door. I believe the Blu SAs are probably bad too. My Samsung upscaler had about a 10 second bootup, which is ridiculous in itself. My first JVC DVD player, from 1999, was off to on in about 2 seconds, with no delay ever in eject of the disc.

Somewhere the people designing this CE equipment has started to think this is acceptable behavior, maybe because a TV takes a few moments to warm up? But for video playback, it has gone from instant on with the first VCRs to only getting slow in the last couple years or so.

What is amazing is that the Wii, PS3, and 360, which are all way more complex in their software than just a movie player can all boot in less than 5 or so seconds, but the players which have OS mounted in firmware have slow boots.

I don't really want a 360, (I want a Wii for console #2 for my little girl)-- but I will probably get a 360 when the drive is made internal, as long as it is at the Elite price or less (doesn't have to have the same features as the Elite, but I would like more than 20gb, has to have HDMI, and I would like the Red Ring issue a distant memory before I get a 360)-- either that, or for a mainstream manufacturer to make a low cost HD-DVD or a $300 or so combo unit with fast boots and ejects. Definately, this is something I am going to be checking on all future players before I buy.

Don't get me wrong either, I don't regret the A3- it is a stopgap on not having to deal with this exclusive crap by the studios. It was essentially free at $170 when you consider I got 10 discs. But the A3 and A30 (and I assume A35) -- need to be a little friendlier to use if they are ever to supplant DVD players.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

I agree with the time it take's for function's to work, especially if you have the ps3 like I see you do.