Anyone using HDMI for audio on a HDA2 but component for video? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Anyone using HDMI for audio on a HDA2 but component for video?

I need to find a solution for audio... My receiver has lasted me for quite a while but just can't handle HD DVD. I have no HDMI inputs...normally I would just bide my time, but it also can't do bitstream due to a problem with older Sony receivers that garbles the DTS downmix from the A2.

I've certainly found recievers that do multi channel PCM but I've heard that they won't do it unless you're also using HDMI out to a display. I don't have the budget right now to replace my projector which only has component inputs so I need to find some solution. Suggestions?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrotorr View Post
I need to find a solution for audio... My receiver has lasted me for quite a while but just can't handle HD DVD. I have no HDMI inputs...normally I would just bide my time, but it also can't do bitstream due to a problem with older Sony receivers that garbles the DTS downmix from the A2.

I've certainly found recievers that do multi channel PCM but I've heard that they won't do it unless you're also using HDMI out to a display. I don't have the budget right now to replace my projector which only has component inputs so I need to find some solution. Suggestions?
The Sony STR DG 710/810/910 receivers do require HDMI video out, avoid. Onkyo receivers do not require HDMI video out. If you go with this year's model - 605/705/805/905 - you'll be "future proofing" as they have HDMI 1.3 and decoding for TrueHD & DTS MA. But you might also consider last year's models - 604/674/804/904 - as they have HDMI audio with no video requirement, and can be found for a very reasonable price.

That is a nice receiver you have, I had the 945 (will, still do, in a closet somewhere. Another option to consider is to upgrade to an A35 HD DVD player. It has 5.1 analog audio output, so it will decode all audio for you and output to your receiver via the analog output and all your receiver will do is amplify it. Also the 1st gen XA1 and 2nd gen A25 players have 5.1 analog output. If you can find one, they're inexpensive.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:43 PM

I guess I could also cheap out and get an A3 which doesn't output over optical as DTS like the A2 but does it as Dolby Digital... but then I wouldn't be getting the sound I really want either.