HDA2 probelm - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM

Default HDA2 probelm

So I was in the middle of my firmware update when power to my street was lost. Now when I turn on my HD player nothing happens. The disc is stuck inside and it stays on Welcome on the HDA2 screen. Does anyone have a solution to this?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Ouch. First, tell us this: what did the display read when the power was lost? Was it downloading? or in a "Step"?

-Drew
Old 12-26-2007, 08:21 PM

It was on step 5 when this happend.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM

Well, unfortunately that's not good. You most likely need to take it in to a repair shop. Step 5 is when the firmware write is being finalized and if it couldn't finish this step, it more than likely bricked your player. In a repair shop, they should be able to put your EEPROM in a writer (or maybe just through the ethernet port with some specialized software) and manually write it to get it fixed, but it's possible (depending on the repair shop) that it would need to go back to Toshiba for that process.

Keep in mind that I'm not a first-hand expert with this exact machine, but I have flashed enough optical drives/other electronics to be confident in this answer. Sorry for the bad news, but I think others with more experience will agree. Good luck, and keep us informed.

-Drew

*EDIT* Another thought just occurred to me. It MAY be possible to burn the .iso file to a CD-R and with a lot of luck, it could get far enough to initialize the read to start the flash. IDK, and it doesn't really sound promising to me, but it's worth a shot. Worst case, it doesn't work, and you're out 1 blank CD, but best case, it works, and you have your player back. Again, good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 AM

He said the disc is stuck inside. How is he going to put a cd-rom in if the tray won't open?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 AM

well it sucks to be us, I was updating mine tonight and the power surge strip reset and I am having the same problem. HELP!!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 AM

If you can get the disk tray open, try putting in a firmware update disk (latest one) in and hope for the bast, like dink18 says. Good luck to both.

Last edited by TIMS2SENSES; 12-27-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMS2SENSES View Post
He said the disc is stuck inside. How is he going to put a cd-rom in if the tray won't open?
Discs don't get stuck in drives. EVERY optical drive has a manual eject button. Pull down the silver flashing on the lower half of the deck. (the piece that covers the play control buttons) See that little hole there underneath on the right hand side of the drive? That's the button. Use something thin enough to fit in there, but preferably something dull - I have seen buttons that are rubber in there, and tried pushing them with a pin only to poke through the rubber. It may take a little force, but you'll feel it give. Some buttons are tougher than others.

-Drew

*EDIT* I just tried it on mine, and you're gonna need something pretty long. (more than 2 inches) It surprised me that the button was that far recessed, but I did feel it engage just as it got too far inside the hole for me to push it anymore.

*2nd EDIT* I just got it on mine. First off, shine a flashlight in the hole and see if you can see another hole. You have to get your poking tool in that hole too. Second, as I said before, you'll need something long. I used one of the large sized paperclips (straighten it out well, no curves or bends, otherwise it makes it hard to find that second hole.) Third, the button doesn't completely eject the drive tray, it unlocks it. You'll hear a slight moan that comes from the locking gear getting pushed back by the button, then you won't be able to push anymore. After that, you can pull down the drive tray cover, and pull the tray out GENTLY. (I used the left side to grab onto, it seemed roomier for my fingers.) I say gently because if you try to rip it open real fast, you can misalign the gear. It should feel smooth coming out, but with a little resistance. Once you can get the disc out, put the firmware disc in and power it on. You can leave the tray open when you power it on, since the player will want to suck it back in after you power it on. (after a couple seconds, not right away) If your player is, in fact bricked, it's possible that it won't try to close the disc tray. (That's just a guess on my part) Let me know how it goes.

-Drew

Last edited by dink18; 12-27-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Hey tibbydriver or anyone with this problem, I called Toshiba's customer support and was actually pretty impressed with their help. They are sending me a prepaid box to ship my dvd player to them, I was told I should have it in 3 days. Once they receive it they said it should take 4-6 days to fix, basiclly I think they are reflashing the rom, and then it will take 3 days to get it back. I was registered from the 5 free hd-dvd offer and everything was already in the system, all in all this disaster should be cleared up in less then 2 weeks. Total time on the phone was less then 15 minutes. All in all a very positive experience from Toshiba. Between this and the Pirates replacement disc from Disney I'd say both formats are doing everything pretty smooth for us consumers.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:02 PM

Good to hear about the positive experience. This is definitely the way to go for anyone who does not want to deal with all these work-arounds. (and I understand that view) The nerd in me is curious now though to see how exactly my advice would work. Almost curious to the point of wanting to try to brick my player in order to see if I could get it working again. My only problem is that I don't think I could live without HDM for 2 weeks in the case that it didn't work. The real issue is the point that the player starts to read the disc. I know Kosty and MidnightWatcher seem to be fairly informed on hardware issues so I may PM them. If anyone else has more info, I'd greatly appreciate it, and it may end up being incredibly beneficial to other HD DVD SA owners; can anyone say: Sticky on how to fix most HD DVD player problems? A consolidated database for common fixes would be great.[/RAMBLING]

-Drew

Last edited by dink18; 12-27-2007 at 11:21 PM.