A3 Question on audio hook up - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Question A3 Question on audio hook up

I just ordered an A3 from Amazon, and I am concerned that it will not hook up to my surround sound system. My surround sound does not have an HDMI port, so my PS3 I connect video by HDMI and audio by RCA cables to the surround sound. Will the A3 support this same set up? Also, is the A30 worth $75 more than the A3? This is my first HD DVD player, and I only have a 32in 720p tv. Should I stick with the A3 or cancel the order for an A30 since its 1080p? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewi1913 View Post
I just ordered an A3 from Amazon, and I am concerned that it will not hook up to my surround sound system. My surround sound does not have an HDMI port, so my PS3 I connect video by HDMI and audio by RCA cables to the surround sound. Will the A3 support this same set up? Also, is the A30 worth $75 more than the A3? This is my first HD DVD player, and I only have a 32in 720p tv. Should I stick with the A3 or cancel the order for an A30 since its 1080p? Thanks in advance.
Hello

Well, I would say an 1080p player would be an investment for the future, but with your configuration it's "worthless".
I'm not sure how you connected your PS3 to your surround system. Do you mean just stereo through (two) RCA cables, or 5.1 through six cables?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopex View Post
Hello

Well, I would say an 1080p player would be an investment for the future, but with your configuration it's "worthless".
I'm not sure how you connected your PS3 to your surround system. Do you mean just stereo through (two) RCA cables, or 5.1 through six cables?
I connected thru 2 rca cables (red and white, out of the component set). Is there a better way to have optimal sound? My surround sound only has component input, its a less expensive Phillips set for my bedroom ($200).
Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewi1913 View Post
I connected thru 2 rca cables (red and white, out of the component set). Is there a better way to have optimal sound? My surround sound only has component input, its a less expensive Phillips set for my bedroom ($200).
Well, it depends on your surround system if there is an better way to connect the player with it or not:
If yes, there should be more RCA jackpacks on the back of your surround system (maybe "right", "left", "surround right", "surround left" and so on), or an optical input jack.
If not, you can connect the A3 as your PS3 to yours surround system (there are also two RCA jackpacks on the back of the player)

(I could check it out for you if you could give me the full name of your surround system)