Newbie problems with A35 and Onkyo 605 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 PM

Unhappy Newbie problems with A35 and Onkyo 605

Hi, im a frequently reader of this forums but i just decided to create an account; mainly because i just decided to update my old 360 hd dvd player to a toshiba a35. But i have a problem with the sound, in the 360, and ps3 when i put a movie or a game i select DIRECT as the sound option in my 605, and it displays if its is pcm 7.1 dolby or what ever in a small red icon in the 605 display, but when i connected the a35 and selected dolby hd, it just says pcm, the dolby hd icon doesn't lit, and it sounds really low and only in the front speakers, the back speakers and the subwoofer wont even sound, i have the player connected via HDMI with an 1.3 cable and i turned the following the a35 menu:

SPDIF: Bitstream
Digital Out HDMI: Auto
Digital Direct Auto Mode: Off
Dynamic Range Control: Auto
Dialgon Ench: On
Speaker Config: 5.1

And im in firmware 1.3... well i hope that makes sense and that maybe someone could help me figure out whats the problem with my sound. thanks!!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:41 PM

bump, im interested to hear how this is can be resolved
Old 12-19-2007, 02:30 PM

turn on the Digital Direct Auto Mode to ON
Old 12-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ix View Post
Hi, im a frequently reader of this forums but i just decided to create an account; mainly because i just decided to update my old 360 hd dvd player to a toshiba a35. But i have a problem with the sound, in the 360, and ps3 when i put a movie or a game i select DIRECT as the sound option in my 605, and it displays if its is pcm 7.1 dolby or what ever in a small red icon in the 605 display, but when i connected the a35 and selected dolby hd, it just says pcm, the dolby hd icon doesn't lit, and it sounds really low and only in the front speakers, the back speakers and the subwoofer wont even sound, i have the player connected via HDMI with an 1.3 cable and i turned the following the a35 menu:

SPDIF: Bitstream
Digital Out HDMI: Auto
Digital Direct Auto Mode: Off
Dynamic Range Control: Auto
Dialgon Ench: On
Speaker Config: 5.1

And im in firmware 1.3... well i hope that makes sense and that maybe someone could help me figure out whats the problem with my sound. thanks!!
Turn Digital Direct Mode to On and that should solve the issue
Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Did this work No One?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Hi, well, it kind solve it, the problem wasn't the direct auto mode, because i tried on and off all the settings before posting, the problem is that i found out my 605 needs the firmware update, and that i had the hdmi audio out put on the receiver turned on, once i turned that off, it worked great except for the dolby EX tracks on my hd dvds, i think that is part of the firmware problem... i do get dolby hd right now im trying to find a cd player with optical output to run the update, but havent got any luck finding one. thanks for help
Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Mine does the same thing sometimes. I stop the movie, go into audio settings and pick bitstream (even though it is already selected) and it fixes it. Not sure what is causing this though.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ix View Post
Hi, well, it kind solve it, the problem wasn't the direct auto mode, because i tried on and off all the settings before posting, the problem is that i found out my 605 needs the firmware update, and that i had the hdmi audio out put on the receiver turned on, once i turned that off, it worked great except for the dolby EX tracks on my hd dvds, i think that is part of the firmware problem... i do get dolby hd right now im trying to find a cd player with optical output to run the update, but havent got any luck finding one. thanks for help
I called Onkyo support to see if my SR605 needed the update (for some reason my serial # always comes up as "Invalid" when I try online). They told me if my receiver was displaying "TrueHD" and "DTS-HD MA" (which it does), then I didn't need the update; they said the update was only for the early batch of 605s that cannot decode THD & DTS MA at all.

Also, it sounds like you have the update file - how did you get it? ONkyo Support told me the only way to update the receiver was to take it into a service center. And, if you can update the receiver with a CD player via optical output, can't you use the A35 via optical?

BTW, Dolby EX works fine for me.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Well for the update file and all the info actually i got it from a post over at avs forums, im from mexico so i cant send them the receiver, anyway the info is at the end
maybe i didnt understand very well, but my onkyo says:
Main1.00/07518A
DSPSR605:00730A
HDMI1.00/07517A
VD3.51/07516A

And according to that info it should say:
Main1.01/07615A
DSPSR605:07727A
HDMI1.01/07706A
VD3.58/07609A
or above, the only thing that puzzles me is that my DSP value isnt even list on their info, but the rest of my info is for the outdated model.... anyway, anyone have a cheap solution for a cd player to udpate this thing?

PS: I tried to put an url but it wont let me so here they are again, i was lazy to reedit all my post sorry XD, just change PPPPPP with the avsforumdotcom thing:
PPPPPP/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=898648
PPPPPP/forums/showpost.php?p=5522650&postcount=15