HELP! 360 HD DVD Add-on questions! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Default HELP! 360 HD DVD Add-on questions!

I'm about to take the plunge into neutral territory and get the 360 add-on from Amazon. But I've got some questions before I pull the trigger:

1. I do not have an HDMI 360 (yet?) but my TV supports 1080p over component. Does the add-on support 1080p over component?

2. Since I'll be on component indefinitely, what are the chances that the HDCP token will be turned on? Or is HDCP dead?

3. Are there any other reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Halp!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM

I think the December update does allow for 1080p over component and vga, but from what i can gather, it can't be burned onto a disc, you have to have an xbox live account (silver is free) for this update.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Ed View Post
I think the December update does allow for 1080p over component and vga, but from what i can gather, it can't be burned onto a disc, you have to have an xbox live account (silver is free) for this update.
Due to copyright protection; you can not watch any high def movies in 1080p over component cables. Same goes for upconverting a standard DVD it's possible, but you aren't allowed to do so over component cables.

You can only do 1080p movies over VGA and HDMI. The games and everything else (over component) will be in 1080p though.

Maybe you already read this article, but here's a great deal:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...VD_Player/1277

Lucky for us there is a format war right now, so HDCP will not be activated any time for the foreseeable future. There are/were rumors awhile ago that it would not be switched on until 2012/2013. But by 2009 your TV will be obsolete anyways and by 2012 if you have cable.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:15 PM

Other than the HDCP/1080p issue (and lossless audio, if you're into that), probably the only other thing you should consider is what you'll do if/when your 360 goes ROD.

I know when mine crapped out and I had to send it away for a couple of weeks, it was a miserable experience. Not just because I couldn't play games, but all my movies just sat on the shelf. It's a problem with the console itself, not the add-on, and of course, YMMV, but just something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, I think it's a great deal (especially today) and seems to be a fine piece of hardware on it's own.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:27 PM

The reason I upgraded about 3 weeks ago was b/c the 360 add-on only supported Dolby Digital and DTS, none of the HD audio tracks were supported by the 360 add-on.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far. Allow me to give you guys more info:

I don't care about lossless audio at this point -- when I have the cash to spare for an HDMI receiver and an HDMI 360, then it'll matter, so that's no big deal for me right now.

My buddy Knuckles Dawson has confirmed for me that the HD DVD drive does indeed support 1080p over component. That is of course unless HD DVD decides to fuck us with HDCP.

So I guess that's it, then! I'll place my order -- this is a pretty good deal even if I have to drop a little more cash in the future for HDMI compatibility.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post
The reason I upgraded about 3 weeks ago was b/c the 360 add-on only supported Dolby Digital and DTS, none of the HD audio tracks were supported by the 360 add-on.
Not even over HDMI?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgopher View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. Allow me to give you guys more info:

I don't care about lossless audio at this point -- when I have the cash to spare for an HDMI receiver and an HDMI 360, then it'll matter, so that's no big deal for me right now.

My buddy Knuckles Dawson has confirmed for me that the HD DVD drive does indeed support 1080p over component. That is of course unless HD DVD decides to fuck us with HDCP.

So I guess that's it, then! I'll place my order -- this is a pretty good deal even if I have to drop a little more cash in the future for HDMI compatibility.
I'm in the same boat on lossless audio. Can't do it, and in no hurry to upgrade. And, you know Knuckles? Awesome. I'm over at X3F every day. Enjoy the add-on and HD movies!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm in the same boat on lossless audio. Can't do it, and in no hurry to upgrade. And, you know Knuckles? Awesome. I'm over at X3F every day. Enjoy the add-on and HD movies!
I met KD thru Unreal Championship back in 2002 when Live started. I haven't met him in real life but we're kind of long distance Xbox buddies.

So, shit yeah! Ordered the drive with the free Bourne trilogy, also got Serenity (for the wifey who curses Fox every day for cancelling Firefly) and Children of Men (because Clive Owen could cure cancer if he wanted to).
Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post
Same reason I upgraded here too. Although, if you don't have the equipment or even care about it. The add-on is great. IMO. Never had trouble with mine. My samsung receives 1080p via component as well.