Is Toshiba shifting focus to the mid-level (A30)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Is Toshiba shifting focus to the mid-level (A30)?

I've been saying for some time that I expect Toshiba to leave the low and high ends of the HD DVD player market (A3 an XA2) to focus on the mid level consumer, their usual territory. Are we beginning to see the evidence for this shift?

In recent days we are seeing their marketing and sales incentives focused on the A30 instead of the A3, as evidenced in the BB A30 promotion and the fact the A30 has been ahead of the A3 in sales at Amazon.

Can we expect to see my predicted announcement at CES of the discontinuation of the XA2, and quite possibly the A3 as well, with Venturer and other low-end CE's filling that channel and Onkyo/Integra (and maybe more disillusioned Blu-ray CE's?) moving into the high-end?

Blu-ray supporters seem to think Toshiba has priced other CE's out of the player market for HD DVD, but if you look at things you can see that mid-level players (1080p24, HBR, standard upconverting processors) are similarly priced on both sides ($300-$450). A Blu-ray CE, most of which currently are selling almost nothing against Sony's PS3 and their SA's, could certainly produce mid-level players like the Tosh A30 and A35 that could compete in this market.

Are we primed for some interesting times on the hardware side, as HD DVD manufacturing begins to diversify?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:35 PM

Who else is producing HD-DVD? Don't count venturer, since its just a rebadged Toshiba (or vice-versa).

360? LG/Samsung Dual Players?

I could see Toshiba going 1080p only in their 4th gen products. Maybe a 1080p standard (A40?) and higher end (A45?); the higher end able to decode better audio, with a Reon chip for better upscaling (and true 1080p de-interlacing) and *gasp* wireless connectivity.

Even my parents got a 1080p set for Christmas (and they are average as can be), so I can imagine many more went 1080p and want to see their advantage.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPoise View Post
Who else is producing HD-DVD? Don't count venturer, since its just a rebadged Toshiba (or vice-versa).

360? LG/Samsung Dual Players?

I could see Toshiba going 1080p only in their 4th gen products. Maybe a 1080p standard (A40?) and higher end (A45?); the higher end able to decode better audio, with a Reon chip for better upscaling (and true 1080p de-interlacing) and *gasp* wireless connectivity.

Even my parents got a 1080p set for Christmas (and they are average as can be), so I can imagine many more went 1080p and want to see their advantage.
I guess you didn't actually read my post? How can I not count Venturer, the fact that it is a rebadged A3 is exactly the point!!! Toshiba has gone it alone up to now producing reference designs. Venturer has entered the market by reproducing the reference design. Toshiba will now happily leave that low-end market to Venturer (and any other interested low-end manufacturers) and move to their usual mid-level consumer base with the A30, A35, and their next (4th) generation products. Likewise, Onkyo has assumed the high-end reference design (XA2) to produce their HD805.

The point is I don't think Toshiba will be producing low and high end models any longer (the A35 is not high end, it is a slightly better equipped mid-level player).

Good for your parents. I hope it was a plasma, as I have yet to see a 1080p LCD that doesn't exhibit nasty motion artifacts. I have looked at a $2400 Sony 46" 1080p lcd next to a $1300 Philips 720p plasma and the Philips image was WAY WAY WAY nicer during motion scenes.