Two issues with Toshiba HD-A30 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Thumbs up Two issues with Toshiba HD-A30

(Note: I had initially posted this message in AVS forum, but the moderators there think they're so smart that they like to merge all the threads that deal with three different players into one gigantic thread where your message gets lost and you never get a reply, so I came here hoping that this is a smarter forum)

I just got me an HD-A30 and I'm looking into these two separate issues:

1) I burned a 3x HD-DVD (for those who are not familiar with the term, it's basically a DVD with an HD-DVD file structure that will play on HD-DVD players) using an HDV file, using first DVD Studio Pro and also Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus. The disc plays, but after a few seconds (10 to 15) the motion starts stuttering, like hickups. At first I had used a Memorex 4x DVD+RW and then I used an Imation DVD-RW. The file is about a minute long. I know the bitrate is 25 Mbps, which shouln't be that terrible. I mean, this is a 4x DVD and the 3x HD-DVD format specifies 3x, right? If I pause the player when it stutters and then release it, it will go another 10 seconds or so smoothly, and then begin stuttering again. Should I try a write once DVD? I don't want to waste a DVD just for testing.

2) I can't make the player work with the network cable connected to my Netgear router. I have it set to DHCP, and it shows all the proper addresses, which I recognize because I can tell it's the format used by my router. But when I try to update I get the message "Can not find out server" (funny translation BTW). When I connect the cable straight to my cable modem and reset it, it connects to the server just fine. So what's the deal with this?

Thanks,

Sebastian
Old 12-15-2007, 06:07 PM

You should take a look at your manual.
I have an A-3 and it says it can only read DVD-RW/DVD-R not +RW/+R. I assume these two players have similar hardware, where as only the A-30 can do 1080p.

With the network issue it could be something with your router, since you can plug straight in to the modem. You'll need to look at the manual that came with your router, or find someone who is an "expert" on networking. You know anyone who has a younger son or brother, or do you have one by chance?
Did you also turn on DNS, how about NTP on the A-30?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22_Z33 View Post
You should take a look at your manual.
I have an A-3 and it says it can only read DVD-RW/DVD-R not +RW/+R. I assume these two players have similar hardware, where as only the A-30 can do 1080p.

With the network issue it could be something with your router, since you can plug straight in to the modem. You'll need to look at the manual that came with your router, or find someone who is an "expert" on networking. You know anyone who has a younger son or brother, or do you have one by chance?
Did you also turn on DNS, how about NTP on the A-30?
Well, it did read the +RW media, although with the -RW media it takes a few extra seconds until it starts stuttering, but it does it anyway.