Problem with Toshiba HD-A3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Problem with Toshiba HD-A3

I have tried doing a search for this problem, but for some reason the search engine thinks no has typed in hd-a3, a3 etc.

The problem I am having is right around the 1hr 30mn mark the movies start skipping and won't stop. Even if I turn the player off and back on it does it again. This has happened with Children of Men, and the Bourne Ultimatum.
Both of these HD-DVDs play perfectly and flawlessly in my Xbox 360 add on.
Oddly enough after many times of trying I got Children of Men to play through.
I do have the latest firmware update.

Did I get a lemon, or is this just a flaw with the player?
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I bought this off of Amazon with the 10 free HD-DVDs offer. When it finally shipped to me the shipping box was in pretty bad shape, but the Toshiba box seemed to be in great shape.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:48 PM

I had the same problem with my Toshiba 3rd gen. After having 3 different 3rd gen and 1 2nd gen I came to the conclusion that the 3rd gen frimware isn't as mature as the 2nd gen and thats why we are seeing so many problems with the 3rd gen machines.

Two of the 3rd gen had this problem and one didn't. I also got my 3rd A3 for my uncle and I'm testing it out for him and it seems so good so far. Only has had problem with one combo. I think it is because of the different optical drives used.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM

So should I send my player back to amazon, or hold on to it?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 PM

I am having the same issue with Bourne Ultimatum taking it back to best buy
Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 AM

Luckily I haven't experienced this but the fact that it seems to hit at about the same time frame in multiple movies sounds like it is having a problem switching between the layers on the disk. Do you have the same problem when you watch a movie on a 15gb single layer disk?

Just a theory but if the box was damaged it's possible your laser may be out of alignment.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
Luckily I haven't experienced this but the fact that it seems to hit at about the same time frame in multiple movies sounds like it is having a problem switching between the layers on the disk. Do you have the same problem when you watch a movie on a 15gb single layer disk?

Just a theory but if the box was damaged it's possible your laser may be out of alignment.
Is there a website or someplace that lists which discs have 15gb? Or should I just bite the bullet and return the player to amazon and get a new one? I just got it the other day, and I don't much feel like watching through movies I justed watched on my xbox add-on, and I have better things to do at the moment. I also don't want to be without a standalone for sometime while amazon ships me a new one. This is supposed to be a Christmas present.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:40 PM

Or better yet does someone know the approximate time when on HD-DVDs titles when it shifts to the second layer?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 AM

AH i am having similar issues with my HD-A3..NOT A SINGLE ONE of my HD DVD's will play past what i assume is the first layer. they all stop ~ halfway through and just stay frozen. i can still bring up the menu on WB titles but thats about it. i am so frustrated with this
Old 12-17-2007, 01:40 AM

This sure sounds like a hardware which is not related to the drive firmware. It sure sounds like an alignment thing and that perhaps a batch of optical drives may not be up to par.

I would return any of these units immediately if you are within the return period. If not, you need to deal with Toshiba on this.

If it happens on one disc, it is the disc- if it happens on multiple discs it is Toshiba's problem.

I have not seen this issue crop up yet, but I have not watched all that many discs yet; I will be in my time off during Christmas though! Especially now.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 AM

i thought it was a disc problem when it happened with transformers
then when batman begins from amazon wouldnt even load i thought ok maybe its this disc 2
but now Bourne Ultimatum did it as well..
i would take it to CC but ive removed the UPC, guess ill get at toshiba