Need Recommendations for Connecting Toshiba A3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-30-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Need Recommendations for Connecting Toshiba A3

I just got a Toshiba A3 and need some advice in the best way to connect it to my Panasonic plasma TV.

I have to be upfront and admit that I don't know a whole lot about audio/video.

My TV has 1 HDMI input, which is currently used by my Direct TV HD DVR.

My other inputs are AVI (which I believe is not supported by the A3) which is where my Oppo DVD player is currently connected.

The other inputs are the normal RGB and RCA connectors.

My receiver is older and does not have HDMI.

Currently the Oppo uses an optical audio connection to the receiver.

The way I set it up for the moment, is I swapped out the optical audio connection from the Oppo to the Toshiba. I connected the Toshiba A3 to the TV via the RGB out from the Toshiba to one of the RGB Ins on the TV.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance about these things.

What do you recommend? What would be my best options?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 PM

I would connect the A3 using HDMI and connect the HD DVR using the Component (RGB) connection. The first thing to do is check that your RGB inputs are HiDef inputs because not all are, if it's a newer TV they probably are but it's not guaranteed. If you post the model # we can give you a hand finding out if your not sure.

The reason I would use the HDMI for the A3 is most DVD's and possibly even some HD DVD's won't output HD through component cables due to copyright restrictions and will downconvert the signal to 480p, with HDMI you don't have to worry about this. There isn't any risk of downconversion using your DVR so using component shouldn't affect the picture at all.

I would continue using the optical cable for sound, it will give you the best sound available with your setup.

Another option is to get an HDMI switcher and connect both your A3 and you DVR to it. A switcher basically has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output so it will allow you to connect both devices to your TV's HDMI input. That costs a bit of money though so as long as your RGB is HD I would just use the above setup.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I would connect the A3 using HDMI and connect the HD DVR using the Component (RGB) connection. The first thing to do is check that your RGB inputs are HiDef inputs because not all are, if it's a newer TV they probably are but it's not guaranteed. If you post the model # we can give you a hand finding out if your not sure.

The reason I would use the HDMI for the A3 is most DVD's and possibly even some HD DVD's won't output HD through component cables due to copyright restrictions and will downconvert the signal to 480p, with HDMI you don't have to worry about this. There isn't any risk of downconversion using your DVR so using component shouldn't affect the picture at all.

I would continue using the optical cable for sound, it will give you the best sound available with your setup.

Another option is to get an HDMI switcher and connect both your A3 and you DVR to it. A switcher basically has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output so it will allow you to connect both devices to your TV's HDMI input. That costs a bit of money though so as long as your RGB is HD I would just use the above setup.
I agree with the switcher suggestion. Actually, I got a 4:1 switcher (not much more expensive) and some HDMI Cables at www.monoprice.com where the cables are under $10 and the switcher works great. I have 2 HDMI inputs in my TV and 4 components, so that solved my problem easily.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit to being just plain stupid.

I got out all the manuals and read through everything. My Panasonic actually has 2 HDMI inputs. What confused me was the Oppo uses an AVI to HDMI cable. I had foolishly thought that the Panasonic had only 1 HDMI and then 1 AVI.

I went out and bought an HDMI cable and everything is great. I will however be taking the advice I received here and be getting an HDMI switcher.

Getting the HDMI cable also solved the problem with the A3 upscaling the regular DVDs.

When did watching TV become so complicated!

By the way, I really like the A3. I had been, until this point squarely in the "wait back and see what happens with Hi Def DVD" but the Amazon price with the 10 DVDs pushed me over into doing something now.