A2 & A3 'black bar' issue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Default A2 & A3 'black bar' issue

2 of my buddies got into HD DVD recently. 1 got in the Walmart 'fire sale' deal, the other got an A3 (really a D3) with a bunch of movies free. Both asked me how to fix their issue as they both seem to have it. Both have their players connected to their TVs via HDMI.

Watching an SD DVD they noticed most movies go into non-widescreen mode. What's strange is one of them told me their current SD DVD player displays it properly stretched out but their new HD player shows the bars telling me it isn't just the way the film was encoded

Both told me that a lot of HD DVDs show up with the bars. The one with an A2 explained Batman Begins shows up with the bars. I found this strange since I have the same A2 and same movie but no bars. I asked him if it was his TV and he checked and it wasn't.

Any help on this? For the record, I have no issues. All SD and HD DVDs show up right on my 30" widescreen Sammy.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM

Black bars on the top and bottom or on the left and right? Batman Begins is a 2:35:1 aspect ratio, which WILL display black bars at the top and bottom of a widescreen monitor. The only aspect ratios that don't have bars are 1:78:1 and 1:85:1. These are NOT typically found with action movies. Examples of 2:35:1 movies:

Batman Begins, Terminator 2, All of the Die Hard movies, All of the Pirates movies, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, Halloween (1978), The Departed, L.A. Confidential, Braveheart, The Mummy, Mummy Returns, Jaws, 300, All of the Bourne movies, The Matrix movies, Star Wars movies, Lord of the Rings movies, Titanic, and on and on.

Examples of 1:85:1 or 1:78:1 movies: most comedies, including the likes of 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 PM

Just a thought but movies that are not anamorphic might have this issue and also TV disks or other material that is 4:3 might have this issue as well due to the fact that it is upconverted to 1080i/p and older HDTV's will not allow strech modes to be applied to ED or HD content.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM

maybe the video is set to 4:3 in the video menus. there are 3 choices: 16:9, 4:3, and 4:3 (letterbox)
tell them to look and change this setting and see what happens.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Why Don't the Black Bars Go Away?
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 PM

Look at that, promise a friend a favor and I completely forgot to get back to him.

I think I forgot to mention that the same movie playing on the same player but different TV shows different bar issues. I know the TVs need to be the same but mine is a 30" widescreen that I checked it on and his is, if I scaled it up since he has a larger TV, a widescreen TV also. Maybe it's in his TV settings? I'll find out and get back. My guess is my TV 'stretches' the image better than his does, where his just adds the bars but being that his TV is newer, larger and fancier than the one I reviewed this on, I figured I should be having the issue, not him.

Thanks for the links guys!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM

I have black bars on my A2, but mine is totally different.

I was watching "The Thing" on SD-DVD and on my TV, I get black bars surrounding the picture.

Top, bottom, left and right. My picture is roughly 14-15 inches across.

Help?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:36 PM

See post #3. Read again slowly.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
See post #3. Read again slowly.
My copy of "The Thing" is an anamorphic widescreen format. I read post #3 and it does NOT apply.

I have tried to switch various settings and nothing works. My A2 is set to 16X9/1080i and my TV's native resolution is 1080i.

In a sense, I have a black rectangle around my movie while I'm watching it.

What gives?

BTW: There's really no need to be a smart-ass. People are coming to this site for help and if you want us to "read slowly" then maybe we should just post elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDMAN View Post
My copy of "The Thing" is an anamorphic widescreen format.
Early DVD copies of The Thing were labelled as anamorphic widescreen on the packaging, but were actually non-anamorphic on the disc. The only anamorphic copy of The Thing on DVD is the "Collector's Edition" released in 2004. The one with this cover art:

My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.