A3 audio setup - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Default A3 audio setup

I have an older TV and non-HDMI receiver, so my audio is hooked up via optical. When I initially set up the A3, I had the following settings:

Digital Out SPDIF - Bitstream
Digital Out HDMI - Auto
Dynamic Range Control - Auto
Dialog Enhancement - Off

Sound was fine. I get Dolby Digital on my HDs and whatever I choose for my SDs (DTS, Digital, whatever).

I saw on another forum, someone also connecting via optical had the setting of Digital Out HDMI set to Downmixed PCM and Dynamic Range Control to OFF. Even though I don't have an HDMI receiver (and he did not, either), I made those changes to my setup. The sound was MUCH improved. It was, first of all, louder (I had noted I had to really jack up my sound settings with the HD player previously), and the rear surrounds actually seemed more active. But I'm perplexed as to why. Nothing is connected via HDMI so why should that make a difference? Surely changing dynamic range control to "Off" couldn't have made the difference I'm hearing?

On the Toshiba itself, I note "2 ch" is lit up, which would go along with the PCM setting, I guess (previously with the auto selection it said "multi"), and my Denon receiver says Dolby Digital and I do seem to be getting separate, distinct, and different sounds from my various speakers. Can anyone enlighten me in sorta layman's terms as to why this happens like this and confirm which settings I should have when connecting via optical. Appreciate any help.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM

You're right that the HDMI setting doesn't affect your optical settings. But the Dynamic Range Control is where you are hearing the difference. It is basically trying to volume match all parts of the movie (someone can correct me if im wrong here) So in the end they all end up being turned down just some more than others. I almost stopped reading the post when you said you had it on to tell you to turn it off haha. Enjoy and i hope that answered it for ya.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 PM

Okay, Gotcha...all that hand wringing and basically it all boils down to worrying over nothing. This is simply a dynamic range control setting. It doesn't matter *what* I set Dynamic Out HDMI to because it doesn't control anything in my particular situation. But will keep Dynamic Range off and enjoy the sound. Thanks for your help.