HELP! Conflicting info everywhere! Does the SonySTR-DG710 play True-hd/DD+ on hd-a2? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2007, 08:48 PM

Default HELP! Conflicting info everywhere! Does the SonySTR-DG710 play True-hd/DD+ on hd-a2?

I really need some help here, I have seen reports from all over this site and the AVsite where diff individuals have said that the Sony STR-DG710 does not support true "LOSSELESS" sound from the HD-a2..... I really want to hear dd+ and True hd sound,,,, But i don't want to waste $200 on a reciever and then It doesn't support dd+/ true hd Audio 100%. And i want to make sure it absolutly does play it! Currently running a good yamaha reciever via opt link, it's down-ferring it to DTS..sounds good but not great.. I want to hear GREAT! but with out breaking the bank... Also component switching is not an issue to me as only the HD-a2 is hooked up into my tv.... Also know that sony is all geared for blue-ray and so are the directions for the Sony STR-DG710 and there very difficultto figure out from what i have read!

Anyone, please clear this up for me once and for all, as always thank you!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM

I don't know about the Sony, but why not spend $450 (no tax, free shipping) and future proof your investmentby purchasing the Onkyo 605?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 PM

The STR-DG810 and 910 support audio and video through HDMI. I believe the 710 does not. I have the DG810, and its not too shabby, I just wanted a cheap receiver for decent sound, and will probably upgrade later if I need to.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:42 AM

$450 is a bit too much for me to spend on it
Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilnut View Post
The STR-DG810 and 910 support audio and video through HDMI. I believe the 710 does not. I have the DG810, and its not too shabby, I just wanted a cheap receiver for decent sound, and will probably upgrade later if I need to.

What do you mean by the 810 is not too shabby? Does it play true HD Audio? dd+...are you saying it's just okay? so your sure the output is uncompressed audio from your hd player..

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misel00 View Post
What do you mean by the 810 is not too shabby? Does it play true HD Audio? dd+...are you saying it's just okay? so your sure the output is uncompressed audio from your hd player..

Thanks!
I have an STRDG810 and I can say that it is a very solid unit and does a great job with the multi-channel PCM that the player sends down to it. I have been pretty happy with its performance thus far. I can see me getting something higher-end at some point in the future but for now, you cant beat the value of the Sony STRDG 810 and 910 models. Also, the 810 and 910 have THREE HDMI inputs which is huge, IMO. Thats more future proof than many other receivers that only have TWO HDMI inputs. Nothing wrong with Onkyo, but they seem priced higher without much to show for it. The Toshiba player decodes the HD audio nicely which is the only Onkyo benefit since the Onkyo 605 actually decodes the audio as well. Some say that letting the receiver decode the audio is better. I havent seen or heard any real proof of that. Some guys just have to see the little TrueHD light on their receiver light up or they cant sleep at night. Whatever.... PCM is PCM.... great sound is great sound. Period! Doesnt matter how you get there!

I say try out an 810, you will probably like it! The 710 only had TWO HDMI inputs and I believe it only handles HDMI video.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misel00 View Post
I really need some help here, I have seen reports from all over this site and the AVsite where diff individuals have said that the Sony STR-DG710 does not support true "LOSSELESS" sound from the HD-a2..... I really want to hear dd+ and True hd sound,,,, But i don't want to waste $200 on a reciever and then It doesn't support dd+/ true hd Audio 100%. And i want to make sure it absolutly does play it! Currently running a good yamaha reciever via opt link, it's down-ferring it to DTS..sounds good but not great.. I want to hear GREAT! but with out breaking the bank... Also component switching is not an issue to me as only the HD-a2 is hooked up into my tv.... Also know that sony is all geared for blue-ray and so are the directions for the Sony STR-DG710 and there very difficultto figure out from what i have read!

Anyone, please clear this up for me once and for all, as always thank you!!!
Do NOT get the DG710. I tried one for 24 hours before taking it back to BB in disgust.

First of all, it is your A2 that will decode DD+ and TrueHD. After decoding it internally, the A2 will out put it as 5.1 PCM - so all you need is a receiver that supports multi-channel PCM input via HDMI. Unfortunately, the DG710 does not. For some idiotic reason, the geniuses at Sony limited the DG710 to digital optical capabilities. It can accept DVD quality audio - Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 via HDMI, but is limited to only 2 channel stereo for PCM.

I wasted half a day trying to figure out why I was only getting 2 channel stereo from the PS3 and XA1 I had at the time, until Glocks_out - who is an AV dealer & installer - found that in the dealer specs is the only place Sony bothered to document the limitations of the DG710; it's not even in the manual.

My experience soured me so much on Sony receivers that I refused to consider the DG810 or 910 and went with the Onkyo 605 (even though I was upgrading an older Sony receiver I was very pleased with). But, I beleive you can find the DG810 for not much more than the 710, and it does support multi-channel PCM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Do NOT get the DG710. I tried one for 24 hours before taking it back to BB in disgust.

First of all, it is your A2 that will decode DD+ and TrueHD. After decoding it internally, the A2 will out put it as 5.1 PCM - so all you need is a receiver that supports multi-channel PCM input via HDMI. Unfortunately, the DG710 does not. For some idiotic reason, the geniuses at Sony limited the DG710 to digital optical capabilities. It can accept DVD quality audio - Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 via HDMI, but is limited to only 2 channel stereo for PCM.

I wasted half a day trying to figure out why I was only getting 2 channel stereo from the PS3 and XA1 I had at the time, until Glocks_out - who is an AV dealer & installer - found that in the dealer specs is the only place Sony bothered to document the limitations of the DG710; it's not even in the manual.

My experience soured me so much on Sony receivers that I refused to consider the DG810 or 910 and went with the Onkyo 605 (even though I was upgrading an older Sony receiver I was very pleased with). But, I beleive you can find the DG810 for not much more than the 710, and it does support multi-channel PCM.

Thank you so much!!! Now i'm clear! It's the 810 nad the 710 will not do the job! Y9oru right, there full of it when they write the specs for 710! Thanks again!!