Is my A2 a lemon? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Is my A2 a lemon?

Iíve had my A2 for roughly two weeks now and when things are running smoothly I couldnít be happier. However Iíve watched three movies on it thus far and at one point or another the player has froze on every disc. It only froze once per movie, and had no problems playing the same portions the second time through. Iím running the 2.5 firmware. Is anyone else experiencing this or is my unit defective?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post
Iíve had my A2 for roughly two weeks now and when things are running smoothly I couldnít be happier. However Iíve watched three movies on it thus far and at one point or another the player has froze on every disc. It only froze once per movie, and had no problems playing the same portions the second time through. Iím running the 2.5 firmware. Is anyone else experiencing this or is my unit defective?
Actually I have the A3 and have run into similar problems.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 PM

No problems here. Sounds like a defective unit.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:15 PM

If anyone else has the A2 and your unit has ever froze with the 2.5 firmware, even if it was an isolated incident, please post. Iím trying to gauge if my player really has a problem or if Iíve just been on an unlucky streak and they all freeze once in awhile.
If I take my unit back to Circuit City, wonít they have to give me the A3? Iíd like to keep the A2 but they canít replace what they donít have.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
If anyone else has the A2 and your unit has ever froze with the 2.5 firmware, even if it was an isolated incident, please post. Iím trying to gauge if my player really has a problem or if Iíve just been on an unlucky streak and they all freeze once in awhile.
If I take my unit back to Circuit City, wonít they have to give me the A3? Iíd like to keep the A2 but they canít replace what they donít have.
My A2 has had only ONE instance where a disc was completely unplayable and that was my first copy of 300. Other than that, I have had minor stutters and skips over the course of the last 5 months Ive had it but to answer your question, I have NOT had a single issue at all since my 2.5 update which I did about a month or so ago.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I haven't experienced this yet, knock on wood. Updated to the 2.5 firmware on mine as well. I have a japanese model (made sure of that when buying), not sure if it makes a difference to you or not. For a peace of mind, see if they can order you another A2 unit. If not, then try a few more movies and see what happens. If you deem it to be a persistent problem, then I would most definitely exchange it for an A3. The way I see it, a working/functional player is better than a malfunctioning/glitchy player.

If not that route, then you could always contact Toshiba to get it repaired. I think Circuit City could send it to someone as well. I would talk with them at the store though, speak with the manager or another higher up representative. Explain the situation, they should be able to do something for you.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:25 AM

I have the A2 with the most recent firmware & have had no problems at all with SD or HD.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:15 AM

I've had only one problem, and it was with "A Clockwork Orange". I need to re-watch it tonight to see if there are any problems with the disc they sent me this time.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Before taking it back, make sure you have not got any dust or scrapes on the discs. I had a lock up awhile back with a Netflix movie. I took a cloth and wiped it down really good and didn't have any more problems. Freddy