Help! A2 not outputting Dolby Dig 5.1 thru SPDIF! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2007, 12:51 AM

Question Help! A2 not outputting Dolby Dig 5.1 thru SPDIF!

Audio is connected via the optical out to an Onkyo TX-DS555 Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver (NOT DTS)

When SPDIF out is set to BITSREAM...I get NO audio.

When SPDIF out is set to PCM, I get audio but only in Dolby Pro Logic...NO Dolby Digital!

The A2 manual says:

Caution
When you are connecting (via the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT BITSTREAM/PCM jack) an AV decoder that does not have Dolby Digital, DTS or MPEG decoding capability, be sure to set “Digital Out SPDIF” ( page 53) to “PCM”.
Otherwise, high volume sound may damage your hearing as well as the speakers.

So what's going on? My receiver IS Dolby Digital!

Please help, this sucks.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Update

Well, for sh!ts & giggles, I put in a standard def DVD (Chuck & Larry) & the audio came thru just fine (in 5.1 DD) thru SPDIF Bitstream.

So is this a Transformers-specific issue or is this going to be a problem with ALL HD DVDs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 AM

The A2 decodes DD+ to 1.5Mbps DTS and outputs same, so if your receiver won't do DTS and at that rate you get nothing (some older receivers will do DTS but not at 1.5mbps rate). I believe you may want to consider upgrading your receiver.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 AM

Yeah, it's wierd, my receiver clicks over to DTS when playing an HDDVD. I thought I had something screwed up at first. I didn't do that when I was using my 360 AddOn.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 AM

you don't need to upgrade your receiver. just set SPDIF to LPCM and the player will decode the track for you and voila DD+ to your receiver sent as PCM (just like the TrueHD tracks)
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
you don't need to upgrade your receiver. just set SPDIF to LPCM and the player will decode the track for you and voila DD+ to your receiver sent as PCM (just like the TrueHD tracks)
PCM can only be transmitted up to 2 channels over SPDIF, which is why his receiver is decoding it with ProLogic.

If the receiver has 5.1 analog inputs, it would be best to switch to those. Otherwise, it's time to upgrade the receiver, unfortunately.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
PCM can only be transmitted up to 2 channels over SPDIF, which is why his receiver is decoding it with ProLogic.

If the receiver has 5.1 analog inputs, it would be best to switch to those. Otherwise, it's time to upgrade the receiver, unfortunately.
A2 doesn't have analog outputs though...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 PM

when i set SPDIF to PCM, only comes up in Dolby Pro Logic...

looks like a good excuse to update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
Old 11-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
A2 doesn't have analog outputs though...
I forgot about that.

Yup, a receiver upgrade is in order.

Or, just to put this out there, the HD-XA2 player transcodes DD+ and TrueHD to standard Dolby Digital, not to DTS like the A2 does.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM

A3 does TrueHD/DD+ to DD when set to bitstream. DTS-HD MA/DTS-HD goes to DTS though, but that should be fine unless you're importing titles.