On the fence about the A3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2007, 03:41 AM

Default On the fence about the A3

Hey guys, I really wasn't tempted to go dual format with the A2 sale but I'm seriously considering getting the A3 for $199. If anyone could answer this question for me I'd be overjoyed.

I have a 4:3 HDTV that outputs 1080i signals with black bars and 480i/p signals fullscreen. Will the A3 do the same? I'll be using this as my primary DVD player too and I'll be replacing my Oppo 970HD. I love my Oppo and all the options I have with it, and want the A3 to do the same. So if I put in a 4:3 disc I want it to fill the 4:3 screen.

If you guys could help me with this I'd be much obliged. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 AM

how could you resist the 10 (3+2+5) free hd-dvd offer from best buy? =p~

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at135100050035
Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahoward View Post
Hey guys, I really wasn't tempted to go dual format with the A2 sale but I'm seriously considering getting the A3 for $199. If anyone could answer this question for me I'd be overjoyed.

I have a 4:3 HDTV that outputs 1080i signals with black bars and 480i/p signals fullscreen. Will the A3 do the same? I'll be using this as my primary DVD player too and I'll be replacing my Oppo 970HD. I love my Oppo and all the options I have with it, and want the A3 to do the same. So if I put in a 4:3 disc I want it to fill the 4:3 screen.

If you guys could help me with this I'd be much obliged. Thanks in advance!
Hmmm Interesting question, let me make sure I have it right:

- Your 4:3 ("full screen")TV does accept up to 1080i input, and displays that wide screen (16:9, "black bars")? This from HD cable / satellite?

- Does your TV have component and/or DVI input connections?

If yes to all the above, then yes, the A3 should do the same as your Oppo - output wide screen movies as wide screen and full screen as full screen. There is a menu in the player to specify if your TV is 4:3 or 16:9. My TV is a wide screen, but the couple of HD DVDs that are full screen (Casablanca & Robin Hood) displayed as full screen on my TV - I had black bars on the side. And the couple of full screen DVDs I upconverted to 1080i also displayed as full screen on my TV.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Hmmm Interesting question, let me make sure I have it right:

- Your 4:3 ("full screen")TV does accept up to 1080i input, and displays that wide screen (16:9, "black bars")? This from HD cable / satellite?

- Does your TV have component and/or DVI input connections?

If yes to all the above, then yes, the A3 should do the same as your Oppo - output wide screen movies as wide screen and full screen as full screen. There is a menu in the player to specify if your TV is 4:3 or 16:9. My TV is a wide screen, but the couple of HD DVDs that are full screen (Casablanca & Robin Hood) displayed as full screen on my TV - I had black bars on the side. And the couple of full screen DVDs I upconverted to 1080i also displayed as full screen on my TV.
OK cool, I guess I'm gonna make the jump then! Thanks for your help!