Why is the DigitalBits so against HD? Are they out of line? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Is the digitalbits.com out of line for trashing HD-DVD?
YES 30 65.22%
NO 6 13.04%
I DON'T CARE 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Why is the DigitalBits so against HD? Are they out of line?

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Was reading thedigitalbits.com today and I am just at a loss as to why they have to trash anything that Toshiba does...is selling your own merchandise for an awesome price against the rules?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:01 PM

They're against it because they think HD DVD will kill both formats because the best HD DVD can hope for is a dual format populace and they don't believe the market will support that.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Maybe Bill Hunt owns stock in Sony...who knows...he sure acts like he does.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

bill hunt is a troll.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM

I couldn't understand why they are so pro blu, but thats their right. I don't really read their site to much anyways. They are kinda slow to update it.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM

I thought it was rather funny at how this "TOOL" eluded to the fact that Toshiba has gone the "All or nothing strategy".

Isn't that exactly what BD/Sony did with the DVD Forum? The DVD Forum refused to adopt the BD format, so they took their ball and developed the "all or nothing strategy"?

This guy's bias is dripping Blu.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Digitalbits' unbabashed fanboy antics have led me to completely stop going to the site. I used to peruse it mostly for the Rumor Mill articles and other announcements, but it seems every other article is propoganda crap. Too many other resources on the net available without silly, unprofessional propoganda.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

It all depends on whether you think a lengthy format war slows adoption or not. Bill believes it does and that we might end with downloads instead of nice shiny discs if the war goes on too long.

If you don't think a format war hurts adoption then Bill Hunt seems out of line.

If you do think a format war hurts adoption then Digitalbits seems like they are reasonably supporting the format currently most likely to succeed (and only the most die-hard knob of a fanboy would disagree that RIGHT now blu is ahead).

This could change though. If HD-DVD finishes this quarter with a much larger market share and evens or surpasses blu-ray in disc sales then I could well imagine Bill (along with some studios) might change their position.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
Isn't that exactly what BD/Sony did with the DVD Forum? The DVD Forum refused to adopt the BD format, so they took their ball and developed the "all or nothing strategy"?
As far as I know they never brought the idea to a vote. HD DVD (called AOD) was actually rejected twice, until new members were brought on and the voting rules were changed to not count abstaining votes--that is, if there were 10 members, a majority would be 6. If 2 abstained, then originally, 6 of the 8 voters would be needed. The rules were changed so that if 2 members abstained, for example, only 5 of the remaining 8 voters would be needed, not 6. That is, instead of a majority of a committee needed for approval, it became a majority of the voting committee.

Here's a brief history of the DVD Forum voting, written by yours truly:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...7&postcount=38

So, no, it's not exactly what Sony/BD did with the DVD Forum. They actually did nothing with the DVD Forum.

Note: This post is in no way an endorsement or swipe at any format. It is a history detailing the events that led to the the DVD Forum approval.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 AM

I've really enjoyed reading TheDigitalBits over the years, but Bill Hunt's single
mindedness on the HD issue is really starting to grate.

He calls the Walmart $99 A2 sale a desperation move, slyly justifies calling it "dumping" (y'know? like garbage?) , and comments that "The HD-A2 arrived in the States with an original MSRP of $499.99. Now, Toshiba is letting it go for just $99. There's no way the player cost less than $100 to manufacturer. Just. No. Way."

He continues...

"Given how dramatically Toshiba has slashed prices on HD-DVD players over the last year, you have to wonder how long they can keep losing money."

What he fails to mention is that Sony's PS3, the #1 selling HD Player started out at what?... $749 or $699 only 1 year ago and now its been reformatted, repackaged, umptine times and you can get it for $399 here in Canada with a free Spiderman 3 BD disc. Sony has been losing a mint on the PS3 since day 1 and continues to do so. Why....so they can stay in the game, both Blu-Ray and game console. It's not really any different than what Toshiba is doing. Lose money up front, get people on-board with your product, and make money off them later.

And P.S. Toshiba is bigger than Sony....and so is Microsoft, so don't go there.

Sony has just announced another 20% price drop on the S-300 according to this very site and I'm sure they would drop it even more except that I'm sure Panasonic and Samsung etc.. would throw a fit at Sony chopping the legs
out from under their players. They only get away with price drops on the PS3 because it is a unique gaming console, unless your keeping track of BD players sold, then it's definitely a BD player...umm yeah...

And speaking of losing money, I would have to imagine that little to no money was made on the Disney BOGO offer from a couple weeks ago. Since when does Disney give anything away...I can only speculate that Sony might have underwritten the big sale that just happened to keep Transformers from putting HD-DVD on-top for that week.

But Bill Hunt doesn't want to talk about that...just how "Toshiba is slashing HD-DVD hardware prices to counteract the release of blockbuster Blu-ray software." (i.e. Pixar's Shorts, Cars, and Ratatouille)

Dude is guilty of hasty conclusions, omitting the obvious, and picking at the
speculative.

But oh, ok, hold on...he's not bias, and hey "the title of my daily column is: My Two Cents." They claim to be an "editorial website", but don't permit readers to submit "open" commentary or have a "letters to the editor" equivalent.
At least at DVD Movie Central they have the self-awareness to call it
"Our Soap Box".

ZW