Xbox 360 - Output Contrast / Color Oversaturated? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Xbox 360 - Output Contrast / Color Oversaturated?

This has been bugging me for a long time and I've been wondering if any other 360 HDDVD owners have noticed that the output (in general) seems to have both the contrast jacked up, and leans very heavy towards red?

I first noticed this when i picked up my PS3 and saw that it was a bit blown out brightness wise and decided to look up some base caliburation settings for me TV online. After plugging in the setting my PS3 looked great but my 360's colors were darker, with reds being extremly strong. I twidled a bit with the input settings to make it better match the PS3's output.

The reason why i bring this up is that I see a lot of comments about "better colors/contrast, PS3 washed out" comments in regards to both video games, and blu-ray vs hddvds. Does anyone else think it's possible that this could be steming from an incorrect color output by the 360?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
This has been bugging me for a long time and I've been wondering if any other 360 HDDVD owners have noticed that the output (in general) seems to have both the contrast jacked up, and leans very heavy towards red?

I first noticed this when i picked up my PS3 and saw that it was a bit blown out brightness wise and decided to look up some base caliburation settings for me TV online. After plugging in the setting my PS3 looked great but my 360's colors were darker, with reds being extremly strong. I twidled a bit with the input settings to make it better match the PS3's output.

The reason why i bring this up is that I see a lot of comments about "better colors/contrast, PS3 washed out" comments in regards to both video games, and blu-ray vs hddvds. Does anyone else think it's possible that this could be steming from an incorrect color output by the 360?
What jacks are you using to output the video? Some TVs don't keep the saved calibrated picture for different inputs. I have never noticed this on my TV. But I also have all the video running through my receiver and into one input on my TV, that I calibrated the best I could.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 PM

I have a Sony Bravia SDL-40S2400 40 inch LCD screen. It allows for a calibration across all inputs and I didn't have any problems with any of my other inputs. At that time i was running my dvd player, wii, and 360 through component and my ps3 through HDMI.

It's not a bang across your head type error thing most people would complain about. It feels more like a "my 360 input has to be calibrated seperatly in order to get the same result" type thing. The 360 just seems to output a darker, more contrast heavy signal then anything else i own.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 PM

Interesting.

When you say your tv allows "calibration across all inputs" does it save said calibration to each one? I have noticed with my Samsung if I calibrate one input it doesn't save it for the others so I have set each one up independently, not hard I just need to write down the numbers and put them in.

Now you said you calibrated using Sony's settings? You need to calibrate the settings based on the ambient light and a variety of other factors. Otherwise this might give you a picture that is slightly off.

Also is it all the HD-DVDs that do this? How do the games and SD-DVDs looks? Most importantly what hd-dvds are you using, or do you have enough variety of movies to sample, to know it is the xbox 360?

Everything looked good until you calibrated for the PS3?
Might just be something specific to that, who knows.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22_Z33 View Post
Interesting.

When you say your tv allows "calibration across all inputs" does it save said calibration to each one? I have noticed with my Samsung if I calibrate one input it doesn't save it for the others so I have set each one up independently, not hard I just need to write down the numbers and put them in.

Now you said you calibrated using Sony's settings? You need to calibrate the settings based on the ambient light and a variety of other factors. Otherwise this might give you a picture that is slightly off.

Also is it all the HD-DVDs that do this? How do the games and SD-DVDs looks? Most importantly what hd-dvds are you using, or do you have enough variety of movies to sample, to know it is the xbox 360?

Everything looked good until you calibrated for the PS3?
Might just be something specific to that, who knows.
You can choose to apply it across all inputs, or to just apply it to a single. So I did a global save across all inputs and later went back and adjusted just the 360 input.

It's not calibrated on Sony's settings, but instead a settings list i found online by someone who had done a real calibration on a similar model. They seem to match up with a more correct color balance, though I do find a bit of that can be personal preference (i acctually prefer my color balance less towards the red spectrum).

Like i mentioned before It's a global thing. I own around around 25 HDDVDs and around 50 Blurays, and multitude of games. I haven't done a direct comparison between a hddvd and a blu-ray, though i've done some dvd to high def comparisons and I see the same problem. I've also seen the issue crop up in multi platform game demos, and at work where currently having issues where we're working on a crossplatform game. I haven't messed with the PS3 build, but between the 360 and PC build outputed to the same calibrated monitor we see a darker image from 360. Also notable is that sites like IGN to head to heads with multiplatform games they almost always mention that the 360 has deeper colors.

Before i calibrated the PS3 my 360 was the only thing that was hooked to my and I had just done a by sight calibration. I did however notice that when i changed to the new settings that my brightness went from around 55-60 to 48.

I guess the best solution would to be to pick up a calibration dvd and calibrate my 360 and ps3 off the same disc and see what type of differences arise. I just find it intresting that my issue seems to arise on the 360.

It's always made me wonder if the 360 is jacking up contrast on a console level for some other reason.