HD A2 vs HD A3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Default HD A2 vs HD A3

I was thinking about getting a HD A3 this weekend but now that the HD A2 is $198 I was wondering is the HD A3 worth the xtra money?
I know the A3 comes with 2 movies but if i got the A2 and 2 movies its still cheaper.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 AM

My understanding is that A3 is nothing more then A2 with reduced production cost and as soon as discontinued A2 supplies are sold it will replace it as lowest priced (SA) HD DVD player.
But to those that will use optical audio out,A2 purchase makes even better sense as A2 is DTS 1.5 Mbps thru optical while A3 is DD 640.
And with black friday sale comming soon we can expect very good deal on A2s.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnara View Post
But to those that will use optical audio out,A2 purchase makes even better sense as A2 is DTS 1.5 Mbps thru optical while A3 is DD 640.
And with black friday sale comming soon we can expect very good deal on A2s.
Is opitcal close to being as good as analog out for sound?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 AM

No....Analog & HDMI are the best ways to get your audio. They both can provide lossless however, neither of these models have 5.1 analog outputs. Look to the HD-A35 or HD-XA2 if analog outputs are your interest TrevorR
Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
No....Analog & HDMI are the best ways to get your audio. They both can provide lossless however, neither of these models have 5.1 analog outputs. Look to the HD-A35 or HD-XA2 if analog outputs are your interest TrevorR
My receiver does not have hdmi, and I'm not giong to upgrade just for hdmi.

How much better is analog & hdmi than optical?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM

the A2 is only 1080i where as the A3 is 1080p. Maybe its not enough of a quality difference to justify the jump in price but the A3 is definately the better player.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorR View Post
My receiver does not have hdmi, and I'm not giong to upgrade just for hdmi.

How much better is analog & hdmi than optical?
Your receiver has a decoder input and if you had a XA2 or A35 you could run analog cables from these pre outs to the 5.1 decoder input of your receiver. So when you are listening to DD+, Dolby TrueHD you would be get the best sound you could. If you get the A2 or A3 then you'll need to use the digital connection that is limited to Dolby Digital or DTS. If you are listening to a TrueHD track then the player decodes it internally to PCM and re-encodes it to either DTS or DD for your player to decode obviously reducing the quality. The only way to get lossless audio from the A2 or A3 is through HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazie View Post
the A2 is only 1080i where as the A3 is 1080p. Maybe its not enough of a quality difference to justify the jump in price but the A3 is definately the better player.
I thought the A3 was still 1080i but the A30 and A35 were both 1080p
Old 10-28-2007, 03:36 PM

A3 is 108i
Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandarroch View Post
Your receiver has a decoder input and if you had a XA2 or A35 you could run analog cables from these pre outs to the 5.1 decoder input of your receiver. So when you are listening to DD+, Dolby TrueHD you would be get the best sound you could. If you get the A2 or A3 then you'll need to use the digital connection that is limited to Dolby Digital or DTS. If you are listening to a TrueHD track then the player decodes it internally to PCM and re-encodes it to either DTS or DD for your player to decode obviously reducing the quality. The only way to get lossless audio from the A2 or A3 is through HDMI

I thought the A3 was still 1080i but the A30 and A35 were both 1080p
Is lossless & TrueHD more subtle in sound difference than opitcal, or is there a big difference between the two?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorR View Post
Is lossless & TrueHD more subtle in sound difference than opitcal, or is there a big difference between the two?
There was just an article about this on the high def digest homepage. The difference is the same as 1080i and 1080p, not much if anything. It all depends on the source material and how good the audio mixer is.