XA2 24p Audio Synch Problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
analog/digital audio expert

Default XA2 24p Audio Synch Problems

OK, I isolated the audio synch issue; audio LAGS video on an XA2 when I use the analog output. When I run audio through HDMI to the XBR4, it's fine.

Since the audio is lagging, it's a pretty certain indicator that the problem is the Toshiba. I called Toshiba support yesterday and the guy I talked to tried to pin this on the SONY video processing, which seemed wrong. The above test kind of proved it. Today, I talked to a guy at Toshiba who clearly understood the technology and products better.

He confirmed this is a known problem and is being worked on for a future release, date TBD.

Rats! Guess 24p will have to wait.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
OK, I isolated the audio synch issue; audio LAGS video on an XA2 when I use the analog output. When I run audio through HDMI to the XBR4, it's fine.

Since the audio is lagging, it's a pretty certain indicator that the problem is the Toshiba. I called Toshiba support yesterday and the guy I talked to tried to pin this on the SONY video processing, which seemed wrong. The above test kind of proved it. Today, I talked to a guy at Toshiba who clearly understood the technology and products better.

He confirmed this is a known problem and is being worked on for a future release, date TBD.

Rats! Guess 24p will have to wait.
Since there was no audio lag using HDMI to your XBR4, only when using analog outputs, there should be no audio lag using HDMI for audio to an HDMI AV receiver?

I'm debating between XA2 & A35 for an upgrade to my XA1, primarily for the HD audio output via bitstream to my Onkyo 605 for decoding. XA2 is rumored to have this next FW update, A35 has it now.

BTW, interesting username - is there a Mr Peakers?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
analog/digital audio expert

I think streaming audio to your receiver will work, but no promises. There's no reason to decode the audio on the 605 though, your sound will be *identical* if you simply send PCM over HDMI to it. That does work and was in synch in my test.

I went with the XA2 for the Reon chip and the analog outputs. I picked it up new for 499 inc shipping on Amazon.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
I think streaming audio to your receiver will work, but no promises. There's no reason to decode the audio on the 605 though, your sound will be *identical* if you simply send PCM over HDMI to it. That does work and was in synch in my test.

I went with the XA2 for the Reon chip and the analog outputs. I picked it up new for 499 inc shipping on Amazon.
Thanks. Yes, decoding on the player vs. a receiver should sound identical - decoding is decoding - but a friend on another forum claims TrueHD sounds better decoded on his Onkyo, although he does have the more expensive 805. But, I have a number of HD DVD Euro imports with DTS-HD MA, and New Line is also using DTS MA, and I have Pan's Labyrinth on pre-order and decoding on the receiver is the (currently) only way to achieve decoding DTS MA.

I pulled the trigger and bought the A35 from Amazon this morning for $407.88, with '300' & Bourne Identity in the box plus the 5 HD DVD rebate from Toshiba. I already own all those discs, but can eBay them to lower the cost of upgrading.