Audio Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Founding Member

Default Audio Question

Whenever I put in a movie, it defaults to DTS. I have a fairly old receiver that has DTS and DD 5.1...

does a receiver have to support DDplus? Or will any receiver that supports DD 5.1 be able to handle it?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:30 AM

The HD-A1 decodes what's on the disk, then encodes to DTS before sending it out on the digital outputs. So what you're seeing is normal unless you use the analog outputs. The only way to send the encoded DD+ is through the HDMI audio. Your hookup should be fine, although if your receiver has analog 5.1 inputs you can use those instead (or even hook both up and compare).
Old 10-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter View Post
The HD-A1 decodes what's on the disk, then encodes to DTS before sending it out on the digital outputs. So what you're seeing is normal unless you use the analog outputs. The only way to send the encoded DD+ is through the HDMI audio. Your hookup should be fine, although if your receiver has analog 5.1 inputs you can use those instead (or even hook both up and compare).
Thanks...

I was going to wait until i got the 2.0 firmware to hook up the analog outputs, but not that you tell me this it sounds like it's time to do it anyway...

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a hold of 2.0, and my burner is busted so I can't burn a downloaded copy... Damn you RCA, just release 2.0 already!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 PM

I accually think that what the player converts it to on coax or toslink isnt accually DTS but that is what it looks like to your reciever. Doesnt make a difference just a bit of trivia. It sends it at full rate DTS bitrate of 1500 which is much more than the standard of 480 for most dvd's and the 768 of almost all DTS dvd's. There are a few full rate 1500 dvd's out there but not many. I think that my Dune remake has it.

I myself use the coax for SD-DVD's so that my 6th channel gets discreated/matrixed in. I then use the 5.1 outs for HD-DVD's for the TrueHD bandwidth. Honestly they both sound great.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Founding Member

i can't wait to go 2.0... i've had those analog jacks on my receiver for like 5 years now and have never used them... it'll be nice too finally see what all the hub-ub is about...
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Yes most people don't have HDMI receivers. I have a Yamaha RX-V550 receiver so I use the analog outs of the A-1. That gives DD TrueHD or DD+ depending on the track. That TrueHD on Batman Begins is absolutely freeken unbelievable.

You will note that you'll need to up the db on your sub woofer though. I have it up to 10 db.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:15 PM

I agree, getting TrueHD via 5.1 analog and listening to Batman Begins is quite the experience.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I agree, getting TrueHD via 5.1 analog and listening to Batman Begins is quite the experience.
so i've heard... unfortunately I can't get a copy of the 2.0 firmware...
Old 10-27-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
so i've heard... unfortunately I can't get a copy of the 2.0 firmware...
If I had the disc I would be more than willing to send you a copy, but I don't, I downloaded it. When you do get a copy, if you enjoyed Constantine, I found the TrueHD on that disc to be pretty damn immersing as well.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
If I had the disc I would be more than willing to send you a copy, but I don't, I downloaded it. When you do get a copy, if you enjoyed Constantine, I found the TrueHD on that disc to be pretty damn immersing as well.
I think i got somebody sending me a disc... thanks though...

I've never seen constantine... didn't hear a lot of good stuff, so i've kinda stayed away...

plus there are like 30 other movies i'd probably buy before it even if I did hear it was okay... sooo many movies... soooo little money and time... lol