Any problems with playback on the HD-A30??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Any problems with playback on the HD-A30???

Thinking about buying the hd-a30. Anybody that bought it have any issues of playback?? Any issues at all??? Just have not been able to find any reviews for this player. Thanks for all responses.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM

I dont know if you've read any of my past posts, but if you did, you'd know I used to own one for about 2 weeks. I was able to see most of the movies I've bought so far on HD-DVD on it until I returned it. Here's a few problems I had with it which led me to return it.......

1. When it's being used for awhile, say you watch one entire movie and you're just fine with it, then you play a second one, sometimes the sound doesn't sync anymore so you'll have to turn it off and restart it. Then it usually fixes the problem.

2. Very slow loading time from when you turn it on to the point where it says "HD-DVD" at the startup screen. Takes at least 30 seconds for that to happen which is better than past models but still slow as hell.

3. I get error messages when playing certain discs. When I tried to play the 1st disc of "Alexander Revisited", after the startup screen when it says "Warner Bros. Home Video" it gives me an error message in a purple box. When that happens, you can't turn it off by remote or button or go back until you unplug the darn thing. I tried again but still gave me an error message which was pretty bad.

4. Very bad navigation ability of Standard DVD's. When I put in a DVD, the moving of the icons are so slow with the remote. I can't even seek with it like I could with my PS3 remote and console. It's so slow and when you think you pressed enter on the right frame, it keeps taking you to the wrong one, no matter how much you wait to get to the right frame. You can play the DVD's but just make sure its one where you dont have to skip scenes and whatnot.

I think there were like 2 more problems with the thing but it's 6AM and i haven't had any sleep yet. Hope this helps. Dont forget, this is just what happened to me. It doesn't guarantee it'll help you too. Nontheless, I'm gonna hold out to buy the HD-A35 and then right away get the latest firmware update via toshiba. Then I'll see how it goes from there. If I still have problems with that darn thing when I get it, I'll just return it too and then wait until the Samsung BD-UP5000 comes out so I wont have to worry about format crud.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznNintendoFan1 View Post
I dont know if you've read any of my past posts, but if you did, you'd know I used to own one for about 2 weeks. I was able to see most of the movies I've bought so far on HD-DVD on it until I returned it. Here's a few problems I had with it which led me to return it.......

1. When it's being used for awhile, say you watch one entire movie and you're just fine with it, then you play a second one, sometimes the sound doesn't sync anymore so you'll have to turn it off and restart it. Then it usually fixes the problem.

2. Very slow loading time from when you turn it on to the point where it says "HD-DVD" at the startup screen. Takes at least 30 seconds for that to happen which is better than past models but still slow as hell.

3. I get error messages when playing certain discs. When I tried to play the 1st disc of "Alexander Revisited", after the startup screen when it says "Warner Bros. Home Video" it gives me an error message in a purple box. When that happens, you can't turn it off by remote or button or go back until you unplug the darn thing. I tried again but still gave me an error message which was pretty bad.

4. Very bad navigation ability of Standard DVD's. When I put in a DVD, the moving of the icons are so slow with the remote. I can't even seek with it like I could with my PS3 remote and console. It's so slow and when you think you pressed enter on the right frame, it keeps taking you to the wrong one, no matter how much you wait to get to the right frame. You can play the DVD's but just make sure its one where you dont have to skip scenes and whatnot.

I think there were like 2 more problems with the thing but it's 6AM and i haven't had any sleep yet. Hope this helps. Dont forget, this is just what happened to me. It doesn't guarantee it'll help you too. Nontheless, I'm gonna hold out to buy the HD-A35 and then right away get the latest firmware update via toshiba. Then I'll see how it goes from there. If I still have problems with that darn thing when I get it, I'll just return it too and then wait until the Samsung BD-UP5000 comes out so I wont have to worry about format crud.
Yeah...I remember reading and commenting on your Alexander Revisited problem. Thanks for the useful intel. News like this does make me reconsider buying a third gen player. Think I will wait til after the holidays. My cc needs time to heal...as my injuries from my wife when she sees my bill.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 PM

No problems with mine so far. Works like a champ and I love it. Great sound output and great picture quality. I recommend picking one up. Good buy.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 PM

I bought this along w/ a Samsung 1400. Ironically both players had to be replaced. The A30 didn't play at all and the 1400 had audio issues and would freeze during certain scenes. My second A30 has played w/o a problem, I've watched Batman Begins, Both Bourne movies, Matrix and Transformers w/o a problem. The 1400 was replaced and recently I updated the firmware. Before the firmware upgrade there were no playback problems, since the upgrade I've watched Hostel 1 and 2 and noticed the audio drop from dolby digital to pro logic during one scene in Hostel 1. Everything else has played ok so far.