Observation About The Postings in This Room - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Observation About The Postings in This Room

How come everyone needs to see "DD TrueHD" on their 605 receivers?

If says PCM, it's getting lossless surround channels anyway, just decoded in the player. IT SOUNDS THE SAME!

Who gives a crap? Why go through so much frustration for essentially nothing?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 AM

For peace of mind, obviously.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 AM
analog/digital audio expert

I don't know about you, but when I waste money on a totally redundant feature, I want the dratted thing to work. Otherwise, it's just a splinter in my mind. Which is why I"m not investing in a 1.3 receiver. %-(
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
I don't know about you, but when I waste money on a totally redundant feature, I want the dratted thing to work. Otherwise, it's just a splinter in my mind. Which is why I"m not investing in a 1.3 receiver. %-(

But it does work. It is just being decoded by the player, so the receiver reads it as PCM. Whether the player or receiver decodes the bitstream, it will sound EXACTLY the same. It doesn't matter where it's decoded.

But I agree that buying a 1.3 receiver could be considered a waste because the player already decodes the bitstream. However, since I have a POS Kenwood receiver that cannot accept any of the newer sound formats (DD only, no DTS, TrueHd or DTD-MA), I'll be upgrading to an Onkyo 605 anyway. I consider it future proofing. But when I get it, and it reads "PCM", I won't get my panties in a bunch. I know it sounds as intended.