HD A1 w/ no remote...help! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2007, 09:47 PM

Default HD A1 w/ no remote...help!

I was at Best Buy tonight and they were getting rid of their last HD A1 (the floor model), and since it still looked good as new and the price was right ($249!) I bought it. The one catch is, it came with no remote or manual. The manual I can download/figure out on my own, but what am I supposed to do with no remote? Ordering one will take a while, and in the meantime I'd like to configure it and update the firmware. So does anyone know of a way to work this thing without the remote? Any universal remote codes or compatible remotes would help. I tried all the Toshiba codes to my current universal and none of them worked
Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 AM

Never mind, I ended up ordering a new one. None of the universals I tried worked and I lost patience.

www.newremotecontrol.com had one for 49.99, which is the cheapest I could find it. I never knew a manufacturer specific remote could be so damn expensive!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:02 PM

If you have downloaded the firmware and burned to dvd, you can at least update the unit.

Lego
Old 01-21-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post
If you have downloaded the firmware and burned to dvd, you can at least update the unit.

Lego
I thought of that, but does it involve any on screen prompts, options, etc.? Because if it does I have no way of doing that without a remote.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 PM

they should give that remote for free, it is one of the worst remotes ever conceived, it feels like it came from the 80's, i am suprised there isn't a long cord that connects it to the player

phil
Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Yeah I've heard it really sucks, that's why I ordered the XA1 remote as opposed to the A1. Not much better, but at least it has a back light. And the pitiful thing is that the only reason I need it is to program my universal remote. So $50 spent just to program another remote. Not the most satisfying purchase of my life
Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Yeah I've heard it really sucks, that's why I ordered the XA1 remote as opposed to the A1. Not much better, but at least it has a back light. And the pitiful thing is that the only reason I need it is to program my universal remote. So $50 spent just to program another remote. Not the most satisfying purchase of my life
You should have just used that money and purchased the Harmony 880. It works wonderfully with the A1. I used to have 5 remotes, now I literally have one and it powers everything up and down for you depending on what you want to do.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
You should have just used that money and purchased the Harmony 880. It works wonderfully with the A1. I used to have 5 remotes, now I literally have one and it powers everything up and down for you depending on what you want to do.
I looked into a Harmony, but I decided against it. I really like the remote I have right now, so I'd rather just program that. But this player is for a smaller set-up (Receiver, A1 and TV) anyway, not my projector, which has a bit more in the way of different components, including a 360. If anything I'd buy the Xbox Harmony for that.