Questions about HD A-30 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Questions about HD A-30

Hi everyone. I don't have an HDMI capable receiver yet, but I was wondering if the HD A30 can pass Dolby True HD via HDMI or only on the 2 Channel analog outs. Also, if anyone can recommend a decent HDMI capable receiver for under $500 USD, it would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 PM

The two decent hdmi receivers that retail for around $475 are the Onkyo 605 (which is hdmi 1.3) and the Yamaha 661 (which is hdmi 1.2a). Now the only advantage of the 1.3 is if you ALSO get a 1.3 hd or bd player that CAN ALSO output the newer hd codecs as bitstream. If you get one of these you could possibly enjoy even better sound, but the debate rages on regarding this. The Yamaha is an excellent all around, well reviewed receiver, and will meet all your hd audio needs also, though it cannot output the bitstream of the newer hd audio codecs. There are numerous threads on this site regarding hdmi 1.3 and whether you need it or not. Also, the A30 should be able to pass the truehd over hdmi, but I do not off the top of my head know if it is hdmi 1.3 or not. it might just pass the "core" of the codec as pcm. Again whether this results in "way better" sound or not continues to be debatable.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:10 PM

The two decent hdmi receivers that retail for around $475 are the Onkyo 605 (which is hdmi 1.3) and the Yamaha 661 (which is hdmi 1.2a). Now the only advantage of the 1.3 is if you ALSO get a 1.3 hd or bd player that CAN ALSO output the newer hd codecs as bitstream. If you get one of these you could possibly enjoy even better sound, but the debate rages on regarding this. The Yamaha is an excellent all around, well reviewed receiver, and will meet all your hd audio needs also, though it cannot output the bitstream of the newer hd audio codecs. There are numerous threads on this site regarding hdmi 1.3 and whether you need it or not. Also, the A30 should be able to pass the truehd over hdmi, but I do not off the top of my head know if it is hdmi 1.3 or not. it might just pass the "core" of the codec as pcm. Again whether this results in "way better" sound or not continues to be debatable.

Thanks, Arkadin!