Discrete On and Off - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Founding Member

Default Discrete On and Off

Does anybody know if there are discrete on & off commands?

I'd like to be able to turn on my player before I use the harmony to "watch dvd"...

Is there any way to do this?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

isnt there a button on the remote? I didnt know there was a subtitle on off one until I watched machinist jp import lolz
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
isnt there a button on the remote? I didnt know there was a subtitle on off one until I watched machinist jp import lolz
but i need a separate on and off... the remote just has a power button iirc...

I also don't see an on and off function on the harmony, just powertoggle
Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 PM

I have the same problems with my Harmony 676. It works but then let's say I turn off my TV or Xbox with the the power button on the machine, the remote still thinks the component is on when it is off and it messes it up next time I try to use it.

Anyone know a way around this?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM

I will be getting the Onkyo 705 soon and that has discreet on and off. It depends if each component has discreet on and off.

The remote should have the functionality if the component does. You can program macros and special comands if there isn't a specific button for it, I'm pretty sure.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM

I dont know if I am missing something here, but in my scenario all of my devices are off. I have an activity to watch dvd which powers on my tv, receiver, and hd player and it powers the devices on in that order. If I choose any other activity it will power on or off devices that are either needed or unneeded. When I am through and ready to shut everything down I go back to activities and then just press the power button. The harmony then powers off all the devices that it knew was on.

Outside of activities, you can press the devices button, select the device, and there you get a lot more detailed options for that device including the option for power.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
I dont know if I am missing something here, but in my scenario all of my devices are off. I have an activity to watch dvd which powers on my tv, receiver, and hd player and it powers the devices on in that order. If I choose any other activity it will power on or off devices that are either needed or unneeded. When I am through and ready to shut everything down I go back to activities and then just press the power button. The harmony then powers off all the devices that it knew was on.

Outside of activities, you can press the devices button, select the device, and there you get a lot more detailed options for that device including the option for power.
this is correct... but what happens if you want to turn on the hd dvd player before you switch to the activity? this is where discreet codes would help... this way you can fire up the player and still watch tv for the next 30 or so seconds while the player gets up and running... or when your 3 year old son turns it on or off before you are ready for it, you don't have to go through a bunch of additional steps... lol
Old 10-15-2007, 03:37 PM

I got ya. Just knew I was missing something.