"system Error Occured" Msg On My Hd-a30. Please Help! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 AM

Default "system Error Occured" Msg On My Hd-a30. Please Help!

Okay, I was playing the first disc of "Alexander Revisited" on my HD-DVD player. It was fine. Then I put on the 2nd disc of the movie in the player and first it showed the anti-piracy warning brief. Then it did that Warner Bros. home video intro with that orchestrated music behind it. Right after that, the TV said in a purple rectangular box, "System Error Occured". I couldn't do anything. The player wouldn't let me turn it off or even take the disc back out of it. It was completely frozen. So I had no choice but to unplug the thing and do it again with the 2nd disc. The exact same thing happened. Then I did the same thing again and I tried playing "The Big Lebowski" and it was fine.

I know you all are my HD-friends. The only ones I have and I know we are all brothers and sisters here. So if any of you can help me, please let me know. I know since I could play big lebowski it's okay to some of you, right? But how can I settle for this if I can't play one of my movies anymore? I didn't even try my entire selection. I dont even know if it wont happen again. Please help my friends. If anyone could do this, you all can.

Should I send it back? It's still been under 30 days at this point......

Last edited by AznNintendoFan1; 10-11-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 AM

Is there a firmware update available or is it the latest out of the box?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznNintendoFan1 View Post
Okay, I was playing the first disc of "Alexander Revisited" on my HD-DVD player. It was fine. Then I put on the 2nd disc of the movie in the player and first it showed the anti-piracy warning brief. Then it did that Warner Bros. home video intro with that orchestrated music behind it. Right after that, the TV said in a purple rectangular box, "System Error Occured". I couldn't do anything. The player wouldn't let me turn it off or even take the disc back out of it. It was completely frozen. So I had no choice but to unplug the thing and do it again with the 2nd disc. The exact same thing happened. Then I did the same thing again and I tried playing "The Big Lebowski" and it was fine.

I know you all are my HD-friends. The only ones I have and I know we are all brothers and sisters here. So if any of you can help me, please let me know. I know since I could play big lebowski it's okay to some of you, right? But how can I settle for this if I can't play one of my movies anymore? I didn't even try my entire selection. I dont even know if it wont happen again. Please help my friends. If anyone could do this, you all can.

Strange that it played the first disc and did not take the second. I would try other discs to see if they work properly. If they do, it may be a firmware issue. Another option I would consider...if I was you...take it back and get a new one. Just to ease any doubt. If the same thing happens again on the replacement player...you got me. Another option...dont see the 2nd disc. Movie was not that great anyway,imho. Sorry. Just trying to make you chuckle a little.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
Is there a firmware update available or is it the latest out of the box?
Well I'm not sure what the latest update is. And I also dont know what version of firmware is on the machine right now. But that's what I'll do I suppose. Do any of you who read this and work at best buy know if I have to return the 300 and Bourne Identity movies too with the machine if or when I return it? And it's under 30 days right? None of that 14 day mess, right? Let me know. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Strange that it played the first disc and did not take the second. I would try other discs to see if they work properly. If they do, it may be a firmware issue. Another option I would consider...if I was you...take it back and get a new one. Just to ease any doubt. If the same thing happens again on the replacement player...you got me. Another option...dont see the 2nd disc. Movie was not that great anyway,imho. Sorry. Just trying to make you chuckle a little.
Yeah you're right. But the point is it didn't play one of two discs, ya know? Yeah the movie kinda sucked especially since it was an epic movie and epics usually are excellent like Troy. I dont want it screwing me over later. But geez, why all the darn firmware problems? Can you tell me how I can get firmware without having to connect to the ethernet? I have no ethernet port in my wall. I have one in my computer and it's right next to the TV and machine but is there a way I can network the player to the computer and feed off the internet connection there via ethernet cable? If not, then I'll just return the bloody thing.

Thanks for the humor. It helped a lot. BTW, I watched the Big Lebowski as I said and the whole movie was fine through. Though I wish it was funnier (yes, to all of you who freakin love the movie so darn much and I dont know why, it wasn't that funny to me) it played through completely and fine. I'm gonna try The Perfect Storm before I hit the hay. Thanks again all! Let me know about the best buy thing!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah you're right. But the point is it didn't play one of two discs, ya know? Yeah the movie kinda sucked especially since it was an epic movie and epics usually are excellent like Troy. I dont want it screwing me over later. But geez, why all the darn firmware problems? Can you tell me how I can get firmware without having to connect to the ethernet? I have no ethernet port in my wall. I have one in my computer and it's right next to the TV and machine but is there a way I can network the player to the computer and feed off the internet connection there via ethernet cable? If not, then I'll just return the bloody thing.

Thanks for the humor. It helped a lot. BTW, I watched the Big Lebowski as I said and the whole movie was fine through. Though I wish it was funnier (yes, to all of you who freakin love the movie so darn much and I dont know why, it wasn't that funny to me) it played through completely and fine. I'm gonna try The Perfect Storm before I hit the hay. Thanks again all! Let me know about the best buy thing!
You could always call Toshiba and have them send you the latest firmware. Personally, I would return it just for peace of mind. Especially with a message such as ''system error.'' If it happens again I would call Toshiba. As far as your question about having to return 300 and Bourne Identity, I would think you would have to return those as well since they were part of the packaging of your player. Call BB and see what they say but I am pretty sure I am right.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Default problems with a 35

Ijust posted this same post on a thread at avs but i would like some feedback on it here to.

I am getting really frustrated with the a 35. If you go back and read my earlier posts i was really excited and blown away by the pq and aq of transformers saturday. Now i keep getting error messsages halfway trough playback of transformers and before i even load 300.

After all of that there are issues with pcm just turning on instead of bitstreaming over hdmi( yes i have it set right) and major handshake issues.

The other day i played evan almighty with no problems. Today i try to play and the dd+ worked in the opening univerals hd-dvd logo, but then when it goes to the menu my receiver is searching for a signal. When i try and play the disc still no sound, regardless of whether i play from the begining or start in the middle of a chapter. Then i stuck in the "next" hd-dvd and no sound on the menu. I chose a chapter in the middle of next and still no sound. When i start to switch between the dd+ and dolby true hd track my reciever finally picked up the dodbly true hd track on the third switch. I have the onkyo 705 so it isn't the receiver. The same thing happened with 300 wtf. I am really starting to feel like i either got a lemon or toshiba is selling beta 3rd gen players.

Oh yeah i tried going into the setup menu and changing it to pcm to try and get sound from evan almighty, same thing. I get sound for the universal hd-dvd intro/logo, but when it goes to the disc menu and i try to start playback still no sound. Look i am technically proficient and can deal with alot of the early hiccups of the format, but i should expect to pay 500 dollars and have the player play discs with out an error message or with sound. I need the player to be wife friendly, she was already upset about the expense but if every time i put in a disc and it its a crapshoot whether a, it will play and b, it will have sound; she has a right to be upset with the purchase.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post
Ijust posted this same post on a thread at avs but i would like some feedback on it here to.

I am getting really frustrated with the a 35. If you go back and read my earlier posts i was really excited and blown away by the pq and aq of transformers saturday. Now i keep getting error messsages halfway trough playback of transformers and before i even load 300.

After all of that there are issues with pcm just turning on instead of bitstreaming over hdmi( yes i have it set right) and major handshake issues.

The other day i played evan almighty with no problems. Today i try to play and the dd+ worked in the opening univerals hd-dvd logo, but then when it goes to the menu my receiver is searching for a signal. When i try and play the disc still no sound, regardless of whether i play from the begining or start in the middle of a chapter. Then i stuck in the "next" hd-dvd and no sound on the menu. I chose a chapter in the middle of next and still no sound. When i start to switch between the dd+ and dolby true hd track my reciever finally picked up the dodbly true hd track on the third switch. I have the onkyo 705 so it isn't the receiver. The same thing happened with 300 wtf. I am really starting to feel like i either got a lemon or toshiba is selling beta 3rd gen players.

Oh yeah i tried going into the setup menu and changing it to pcm to try and get sound from evan almighty, same thing. I get sound for the universal hd-dvd intro/logo, but when it goes to the disc menu and i try to start playback still no sound. Look i am technically proficient and can deal with alot of the early hiccups of the format, but i should expect to pay 500 dollars and have the player play discs with out an error message or with sound. I need the player to be wife friendly, she was already upset about the expense but if every time i put in a disc and it its a crapshoot whether a, it will play and b, it will have sound; she has a right to be upset with the purchase.
Man that sucks. You already have an HD-A35? Dang, I returned my problematic A30 just so I could wait til the A35s start to get distributed out here. I'll just say to you what everyone's been asking me when I started to complain here. Do you have the latest firmware update? One thing you have to remember, every new release (Because you mentioned Transformers) that comes out is of the latest quality. So it may require the latest firmware download. I'm sure you have no problem getting that. I dont know what the heck happened with my A30 before I returned it. I paid 400 bucks just so I could be able to watch all the HD-DVD movies I bought, ya know? I dont want any of that error message jazz. I think you should either A. return it and buy a new one. or b. just try the firmware update and see how it goes or even c. consult toshiba on it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Clear persistent storage in maintenance n try again(Setup)...may work.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolo View Post
Clear persistent storage in maintenance n try again(Setup)...may work.
I had the exact same error with "300" and had return the disk thinking it was the problem and the second one I got gave the same thing. I cleared the persistent storage and turn off/on the player and the disk played fine.

Thanks Diabolo

Regards